Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2010-03-04 13:18:47

curtist

Looking for Deceased Employees of N Y Polyclinic and French Hospital

I am researching a deceased author to include in a biography that I am writing for publication. Her name is Vinita Merrill. She is the author of Atlas ofRoentgenographic Positions and Merrills Atlas of Radiographic Positions andProcedures, first four editions 1949-1977. Little is known about her. In her acknowledgments she indicates that she worked as Technical Director and ChiefTechnologists to the Department of Radiology and Instructor in the School ofRadiography at New York Hospital in 1936. She also worked with a WilliamH Shehadi, MD in a radiology department. The Medical Directory of New York State has Dr. William H Shehadi listed as director of the New York Polyclinic Hospital. I also learned that this hospital merged with the French Hospital and then went bankrupt.

Does anyone know if the employee records would have been archived anywhere?

I am trying to write about the work history and education of "Vinita Merrill."

Thanks,

Tammy Curtis

#2 2010-03-17 14:25:18

Betty

Re: Looking for Deceased Employees of N Y Polyclinic and French Hospital

I couldn't find much about Vinita Merrill on Ancestry.com, but here is some of the information I found, in case you don't have it:

According to the Social Security Death Index (SSDI) Vinita Merrill was born 26 August 1904 and died in December, 1977.  On a Public Records database on Ancestry  there is an address listed for her:  37-30 83rd Street  Jackson, Heights, New York  11372. On that record, her date of birth is 26 August, 1905.  On the SSDI, it lists her  Last Residence as 11372, but the Last Benefit is listed as Lincoln, Nebraska  68502.  This may either mean that she was in Lincoln, NE at the time of her death, or that someone who applied for the Lump Sum Death Benefit may have lived there.

I see in the  1910 to 1930 censuses that there was a Vinita Merrill living in Oklahoma.  Do you know where she was born? 

I couldn't find any obituaries.

#3 2010-03-17 18:52:35

Diowovess

Good timing, Tatertot -- I gotta get a new baitcasting rod this weekend.  Thanks for the feedback, Darth.

Professional tools for email verification: [url=http://services.my-addr.com/verify-email-list-online.php]verify email list[/url] and [url=http://services.my-addr.com/online-bulk-email-verification-validator.php]online bulk email checker[/url]

#4 2011-03-15 14:04:29

webdragon

Yeah that’s a great idea to write about deceased author because so many people are interested in knowing the history of authors. For the information of Vinita merill I too searched many sites but didn’t got any additional information other that mentioned by curtist and betty. I think information is enough for her identity.

[url=http://www.exacthire.com/]onboarding[/url]

#5 2011-12-14 10:19:26

curtist

Thank you so much for your feedback. I finally located a great Nephew living in Kansas. His father was the beneficiary that is listed in Lincoln, NE. I also have obtained her SS# index. I discovered that she was cremated. I have not been successful in locating any employee records from the New York Hospital in 1936 or New York Polyclinic Hospital.  This may forever remain a mystery.

Sincerely,

Tammy Curtis

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu