Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1051 2010-12-28 19:45:57

tsquared

Re: cambria heights, Queens

Do any of you CH folks remember/know the Gerdes family? They were a Haitian family who lived in Woodside from 64-67, then moved to CH. I was friends with Henri who graduated from Andrew Jackson in 1971 and was wondering what became of him.

#1052 2010-12-30 22:48:25

Mike The Duck

[quote=john m]Another quick Cambria story that involved clearing snow, this time at SH church.  It was some evening event around Christmas or the early winter.  We had had a large snow storm and while most of the heavy shoveling was done, the custodian asked for volunteers to spread salt.  Volunteers were excused from whatever function we were in, so a handful of us quickly raised our hands.

We were each given a large plastic bucket of salt and assigned an area.  We spread the salt by hand and when the bucket was empty, we headed back to the gargare for refills.  I don't think it required many trips or buckets.   We were probably not paid for the work but we had fun and were not stuck inside in the function.

It wasn't until the next morning that I learned a lesson about salt and how it shouldn't be handled.  While the custodian had provided us with bucket and salt, he had not provided gloves or advice.  I simply used the leather gloves I had worn to church that evening.  Maybe you can guess what happened.  My nice leather gloves had become completely dried out.  They were dessicated, almost mummified from handling the salt.  They were totally useless and and had to be discarded (although now that I write this, I wonder if I could have rehydrated them somehow).  Lesson learned.

john m[/quote]
John,

Good to hear from you. As I'm now back in NYC visiting my folks for the holidays I can assure you I was thinking about shoveling snow back in CH as I spent three days this week working in my parents' Flushing driveway. I must have moved hundreds of pounds of snow!! It made me remember the blizzard of 1969. I recall that my dad was at work in Manhattan when the snow hit, and he left early. By the time he got off the train in Jamiaca the Q4 was not running due to the snow, so dad walked all the way home from Jamaica (Hilldside Avenue to 222nd between Linden and 116th. I remember him getting home and telling mom that the walk was a LOT easier than some of the things he went through during the Battle of the Bulge--what a generation of men, eh?)! Soon after he got home I recall that the two of us went out to shovel. To this day I vividly recall the beautiful silence of that snowy night. We shoveled and less than 45 minutes later the fire hydrant in front of our house was once again buried under snow. So ,of course, we shoveled some more.

There are times when I have hectic days that I long for that quiet, snow-silenced night of 1969....

Mike

PS Did you hear about our recent CH reunion at SH? Perhaps you'll be able to make next year's in October.

#1053 2010-12-30 22:49:32

Mike The Duck

Beautiful post, D. Thanks for sharing your thoughts/words.

Mike

#1054 2010-12-31 13:37:22

john m

Mike

I had a similar experience as you.  It may have been 1969 or even later but my father, who had worked an overnight shift in Manhattan, emerged from the 169th IND station on the way home to find his car hopelessly plowed under.  He called home and asked me to take the bus to Jamaica and meet him at his car with a shovel.   I walked up to Linden Blvd to wait for the Q4.  This was supposedly rush hour and the buses were running, but very slowly.  After 30 minutes, two buses had gone by but were completely packed and did not stop.  I walked up to 234th st to get on the bus there.  The line snaked through the dry cleaner's lot and it took another two buses for me to board.  By the time I got to Jamaica where my father had parked, more than 2 hours after he originally called, all that I found was an empty space.  He had gotten so tired of waiting, he knocked on doors until someone lent him a shovel to dig the car out.  Needless to say, neither of us were very happy.  I turned around and took the bus home.

john m

#1055 2011-01-26 14:34:31

Mike The Duck

Slow going here lately. I hope everyone is OK. Like the rest of NYC, CH got it's fair share of snow. I drove through when I was up in Dec.-Jan. and many of the streets were still not clear days after the snow had stopped!

Mike

#1056 2011-01-26 17:34:59

john m

Mike

I usually check the CH site a couple of times of week.  Haven't seen much activity lately and hated to post over the top of my last post.  Looks a little desperate when you do that.  I have been participating on some of the newer postings / discussions and, in reflection, usually dive in to the more politically oriented topics when a centrist or slightly left of center perspective is needed to balance the discussion.

Back to CH .... Jimmy Amoroso attended the reunion in October.  He really enjoyed it and is already after me to put next year's event on the calendar.  I was in Pennsylvania this year at my wife's HS reunion.  Will need to do better planning in 2011.

Mike  -  I think you get the award to this point for most consistent and enthusiastic poster to this topic!

john m

#1057 2011-02-02 13:24:00

Mike The Duck

Thanks, John!

I saw Jimmy at the reunion. We had a nice little chat in the old gymnasium (a room I visited no more than twice during my eight years in SH). A great time was had by all, but to me it was also just a little bit spooky in that it almost felt like I was still living there. Very strange--but pleasant--feeling. Perhaps in a way we'll always be "living" there.... Hope you can make it next year!

Mike

#1058 2011-02-05 18:35:21

john m

I remember the SH gym as being barely big enough to lay out the half court circle and the foul lane keys at either end without having them overlay or intersect.  I can't remember if the ceiling was high enough or not.  And we never played CYO games in SH...always on the road somewhere.

I do remember the bathrooms in the corner were up a short set of steps and there was plexi-glass sheets on the small landings.  Wasn't the gym also where the hot lunch was served everyday?

Thinking about playing basketball, I remember one year losing a game to St Gregory's in Belrose.  The next day, the LI Press carried a short paragraph that St Gregory the great defeated Sacred Heart in a CYO game.  We thought they were showing off and bragging.   Little did we know the real name of the school was St Gregory the Great.  In those days, the LI Press would publish a story like that in the local sports.  I still have a newspaper clipping and picture of our team that won the Brooklyn-Queens championship in the tyro division.  I remember the lead-in sentence: "Horse racing may be the sport of kings, but basketball is the sport of Queens."

Last edited by john m (2011-02-06 08:19:46)

#1059 2011-02-11 09:31:09

lorie922

[quote=TGHD]Hey, is there anyone out there who knows Frank Pezzo, Victor Patti, Tom and Joe Farranda,  Barbara Verde, Chritopher Rooter, Maureen Jennings, Joe Morgan, Maureen Brown, or anyone who graduated from Sacred Heart in Cambria Heights,  in the year 1968?[/quote]
Maureen Brown is registered on Classmates.com  - I used to hang around with her at P.S. 176 in my early teens.

#1060 2011-02-11 15:05:41

lorie922

[quote=Mike The Duck]Thanks, John!

I saw Jimmy at the reunion. We had a nice little chat in the old gymnasium (a room I visited no more than twice during my eight years in SH). A great time was had by all, but to me it was also just a little bit spooky in that it almost felt like I was still living there. Very strange--but pleasant--feeling. Perhaps in a way we'll always be "living" there.... Hope you can make it next year!

Mike[/quote]
Mike,

I believe the reunion was the first time I had been back to SH since graduation in 1966!  So many memories in that school and the neighborhood and so very hard to believe so many years have gone by.  I am sorry I did not get to meet you.  It was terrific seeing quite a few people from the class of '66 and other years.  My sister was class of 1963 and attended also.  I am so glad that group photos were taken of the years that attended.  It was also very nice to see the nuns and Father Mac too!  Hopefully we will get an even bigger turnout in October. 

Lorie

Lorie

#1061 2011-05-23 15:53:15

Cool Senior

Moved into Cambria Heights about 1934 into the new homes on 220 Street two blocks from Linden Blvd. We left in 1945. The neighborhood consisted of City employees- Cops & firemen. Spent most of my youth in the playground at PS 147 Q developing baseball skills. PS 147 Q was a poor educational facility after the 5th Grade. A number of the teachers had no business in the field of education. It was the depression years and education was the recipient of many who only needed a job. I know of one that would have been arrested if the authorities were as vigilant as they are today. Most of the kids were involved in the sports of the time -stickball & speedball . Speedball was a box painted on the handball wall with a pitcher & batter. Many of the participants were McAullif's, Layton, Donnely, Pollacks, Wade, Welch, Leacock, Anderson etc. Sacred Heart Church began in a tent on 221St Street and was blown down with the hurricane of 1938. Father Dawson was the Priest and his sister Mrs Mooney lived on 219 ST. Their son, Father Mooney, was Director of Bklyn Cemeteries. Beautiful brick tudor homes were built on 220St with a finished basement. Steins candy store on Linden Blvd was a hangout, but I moved away when I was 15 and lost contact.  There was a St Albans Day, the first week in Sept,. at Eisenhower Park in Nassau County every year until recently.

#1062 2011-05-25 07:19:00

Olivia

Hi Cool Senior--Wow. You were really there for CH's heyday. We moved there from Jamaica in 1947. I was further west, between Queens Village & St. Albans. In fact, we were in the St. Albans post office zone for a year or so & then were shifted to the CH post office (remember zones?). Our parish was Sacred Heart, the pastor was Fr Daniel Hanrahan, later to become Monsignor. We heard the stories of the hurricane, Father Dawson & the "church in a tent". I started school @ PS136. Sacred Heart School opened when I was in the 3rd grade(I guess about 1950) & I finished grammar school there. I don't have many happy memories of SH school & was happy to graduate. I was back there a few years ago w/my brother. Those lovely brick homes are still there & the neighborhood up near the church still looks good. Except for Linden Blvd. I don't recognize any of the names you asked about. Are you still in the NY area?

#1063 2011-05-25 10:16:16

Cool Senior

Interesting submissions. Lived in CH from 1934 till 1945. Attended PS147 & AJHS  I remember Mrs Doherty, she taught at 147 & lived on 218th St. Never cared for 147 and thought the teachers could have been better. Some certainly weren't dedicated. When SH opened they must have drained most of the good kids from 147 leaving the school to spiral downhill even more. Mr. Murtaugh was an excellent teacher and years later I would have the opportunity of working for him in Community Ed. CH was being built up when I was living there. They had beautiful tree lined streets, however, the Parks Dept cut down all the trees down because they were swamp maples and their roots clogged the sewer & water pipes. We sold our beautiful tudor home on 220 St for $17,000 in 1945.

#1064 2011-05-25 12:03:10

Olivia

Hi Cool--I also went to AJHS. From 1956-1960. I think our principal was named Bonwit, or something close to that. I enjoyed my time @ Jackson. It closed as a regular HS in the 90's due to an uncontrollable drug & crime problem. It's now a magnet school, whatever that is. I've lived on LI in Suffolk Co. for many years now. It's nice to remember the teachers that were good educators. There was so much that I learned from the good ones, all the way from grammar school thru college. Their lessons on life are still with me. In 1945, $17,000 was alot for a house. It must have been really nice.

#1065 2011-05-25 13:06:59

Cool Senior

I remember AJHS Principal's first name was Ralph., The swimming coach was Mr.Cashen & the basketball coach was Lou. Grummond. Bob Cousy was the star of the team in those days. CH was a hotbed for competitive sports. I'm really surprised more didn't make it to the Major Leagues.Colin Field as it's now being described was a big field down 220Street and bordered a Jewish Cemetery. CH had a baseball team named the Cambria Colins. Buddy Brown was one of their pitchers and they had a terrific hitter named Santelli. I think he got a contract with the NY Giants, but WWII was on and his playing days were probably  cut short like so many others.
I traveled down Linden Blvd in the late 60s and saw the deterioration of the area. Wonder if they will be having another St Albans Day at Eisenhower Park this year.

#1066 2011-05-26 07:46:12

Olivia

My brothers & their friends played baseball @ Colin Field. I don't remember any organized sports then, they just spent their summer days @ Colin Field. I didn't even know that there was a St Albans Day. Can't find anything about it on Google. About 13 years ago, I was driving on Washington St in Hempstead, where I was a visiting nurse. I was stopped @ a light & a man passed by in a sweat shirt that said St Pascal Baylon. I called out to him (not a very smart thing in Hempstead) & he came over to the car. Turns out that the school was still thriving & he was a track coach.

#1067 2011-07-27 19:49:00

Mike The Duck

I've been away from the board for a while but it's great to be back and read a few posts by new members. I hope to be back in Queens next week, and, of course, I plan on driving through CH many times. I'm looking forward to the reunion at SH this coming October. Last year's was really nice, but rumor has it that this year's will be even better. I've offered to work security for the bash, so make sure none of you guys try to mess around in the halls!! LOL!

#1068 2011-09-13 00:15:51

Olivia

A recent article from NY Times re: living in Cambria Heights:
www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/realestate/safe-and-sound-sweet-and-spacious-living-in-cambria-heights-queens.

#1069 2011-09-13 16:18:02

Mike The Duck

I saw that article. It seems to ignore some of the basic truths of the neighborhood, but it was still great to read about CH. I hope many of you will be able to make it to the SH/CH reunion at Sacred Heart October 8!

Mike

#1070 2011-11-17 07:12:42

Bob19571958

Hello Everybody:

I lived in Cambria Heights and went to PS 147 for part of the school year in 1957 and 1958.  My father was in horse racing.  I grew up moving from track to track.  Of the many places I lived Cambria Heights was one of the best and by far the most interesting.  I also lived in Jamaica for two racing seasons and went to PS 52, but that is another story.

I stumbled onto this site while remembering the Good Ol' Days (I do think things were better then but as a Kid what would I have known).  I certainly remember doing some of things mentioned here.

I don't remember where I lived in CH but hope one of you could help me pin it down a little closer.

As I remember I lived a couple of blocks from Linden Blvd. and I walked to PS 147.  The walk was several blocks but not like a long hike to get to school.  I lived in a corner house and all the houses on my block were joined together.  They were really nice houses made of red brick with some plaster and dark wook decoration on the second story.  I guess the style is called Tudor.  At the time they all seemed like little castles.  The back of the house had a alley and everyone's garage and small back yard was on the other side of the alley.  At the time I thought it was neat that clothes were hung out to dry on a system of pulleys and line that ran across the alley.

On the way home from school if I went over to Linden Blvd.  I could buy some really Fantasic Pizzia by the slice.  To this day I have never tasted Pizzia so good.  There was a candy store with great ice cream sodas and cones.  Occasionally I was told to either buy the Comic Book or put it back.  There was a Real Toy Store that sold little British soldiers, they seemed to have a lot of British and German made toys.  Every week or so I would use my allowance to buy another Hardy Boy's Mystery.  I frequently wasted money buying a new Pinky Rubber Ball well before the one I had was worn out or lost.

The reason for having a brand new ball being, as a new kid in school every 3 or so months somewhere.  I had to find out what worked in different places to transition in as smoothly as possible.  After the mandatory first Fight other adjustments had to be made.  In Cambria Heights I had the addional problem of being foreign and talking funny.  I had a Southern accent and had moved in from Los Angeles, CA.   Having a Pinky (especially a New Pinky) would usually get me into the stick ball game. I may have not been that good of a player but I had a ball and that was a start.

PS 147 was another world from all the schools I went to.  The exception being PS 52.  Assembly Day was unique to Long Island.  The dress code was also unique.  When I enrolled at PS 147 my Mother forgot about the dress code (it had been a couple years since I had gone to PS 52).  On my first day I wore what was standard L.A. school attire.  White T-shirt with an unbuttoned short sleeve shirt over it.  Levi's (Dungerees) and sneekers.  I made it as far as the door of PS 147.  I knew something was up as I sure didn't look like the other guys and was getting some strange looks in the line up out on the tar mack.  I was sent home, my Mother was called in and changes were made.

It was off to Robert Hall's.  Because, "Robert Hall's this season will show you the reason" (anyone remember that).  There was a list of other supplies needed, Compositon note books and a book bag.

At PS 147 I liked the morning break time.  The trick being to get to school and still have milk & pretzel money left.  A fee was exspected to be paid to insure safe passage to school.  The mandatory First Fight usually involved me keeping my Milk Money.  It took a few loses but in the end I kept my money.  I found out it was a good thing to be OK with the "Hoods".  However that may not have been of any use to you when it came to using a Hall Pass to go to the bathroom during class.

One last thing.  On the week end I was allowed to stay up late and watch TV.  Does anyone remember "Zackerly at Large".

I look foreward to hearing from you.  Thanks for reading.

Bob

Last edited by Bob19571958 (2011-11-17 07:21:16)

#1071 2012-04-29 13:10:28

nealsims

Hi, don't know if anyone is still reading this board. For those of you who attended Sacred Heart in the early to mid 60's, Father (now Monsignor) Graham passed away on April 21. He was retired and was 75 years old. I remember him well. Rest in peace.

#1072 2012-06-21 14:37:45

DoublePlay

How much fun this is to march down Memory Lane! I was born in 1949 and lived on Nashville Blvd. until the summer of 1959. Went to kindergarten at ps 147 and then to Sacred Heart through the fourth grade.  I only remember Sister Karina for first grade, Sister Rose Hyacinth for fourth grade and I believe a Miss Lazarro somewhere in between. At school we were taught that the Pope said that we were only allowed to read books that had an Impremartur stamped in it. For punishment in second grade for whispering to my neighbor in class, I was told I had to copy the book of Genesis from the Bible. Of course we didn't have a Bible at home as we were never encouraged to read one back then, and I would have been killed if my parents found out.. so on the way home from school I walked over to the Queensborough Public Library on Linden Blvd. and the clerk pulled this huge family size Bible from the shelf. I remember I didn't have a pencil so I had to use what the library and Post Office and Savings Bank supplied.... a wooden brown "pen" with a metal nib that had to be dipped into the supplied ink every few words.  I remember that I had never before used a pen and it was hard for me to get used to it and so that poor Bible was splattered with big, black drops of ink, forever ruined, before I could even get through a bunch of verses in Genesis Chapter One. Because I had to get home before my mom would suspect anything, I had little to offer the nun the next school day, as I handed her my meager one page manuscript with a shaking hand. I remember I would bring in a quarter from home once a week with my savings bank envelope, and although I was only in the school for Grades 1-4, somehow my book got put away until it surface when I was twenty-one, and there was enough money accrued in it to help pay a large hunk of my first car! I remember participating in the Halloween parades outside of ps 147 and attending some kind of summer recreation program in that building. I remember having to stay in school for lunch at Sacred Heart. The hot lunchers got to sit at a table with benches, but if I brought your "cold lunch" from home as I did, I had to stand and eat at a table in the auditorium without talking until you were finished and then you could raise your hand and go outside in the parking lot/ play ground where you could have recess, but you were not allowed to run in the lot. I remember sitting on the logs around the perimeter of the lot. I remember clapping the erasers for the teachers outside. I remember playing Chinese jumprope which we made out of rubber bands.  We didn't have uniforms but I had to wear a red beanie on my head. I remember Joe the ice cream man who sold us those great big pretzels for five cents. Sometimes, if I had a nickel , I would look for someone else who did and we could pool our money and share a twin ice pop.. and the sky blue ones made our mouths look ghastly.  I remember the bazaars in June when the street was closed off and that's where we had recess.
        I remember walking down Linden Blvd. with A-Z Hardware (funny that's where we bought our school supplies), Merkel's Meats where they would give me a slice of balogna while my mother was ordering, Kent dry cleaners, The Queensborough Public Library, the Cambria Movie theater. I remember when the shop owners would give out large colored cards during the week, and the lady at the box office would put up one of the colors on Saturday and if you had the right color you could get in for free.  Inside were the "expensive" treats that we hardly ever could get... Bon Bons, Sugar Daddies and Sugar Babies, Necchis, Good and Plenty, Tootsie Rolls, Chicklets Gum and of course, very salty popcorn. I remember Izzy's candy store where I could buy little boxes of shell-on sunflower and pumpkin seed that were so terrible salty. My brother and I would collect glass soda bottles in the empty lots and bring them to Izzy... who would say..."But you didn't buy them here" and we would swear that we did... he knew better but he gave us the deposit anyway. If we found enough to wind up with ten cents, we would go into the Sunrise market and buy a package of Hostess Cream Filled Cupcakes, two in a package for a dime, and each enjoy a whole one.  Of course, at the candy store, (and heaven knows where we got the money, we could endulge in such delicacies such as button candy on paper, wax lips, Pixie Sticks, chocolate money in gold foil, Pez, jaw breakers, licorice, fire balls, fiive cent candy bars, Sen Sen and boxes of Smith Brothers or Luden cough drops.  Up Springfield Blvd. I remember the bowling alley where there were boys or men behind the lanes who would reset the pins. I remember swimming in the summer at Andrew Jackson High School pool. I remember playing in the street.... we called it "Catch a Flyers Up"., and Ringalevio and stoop ball.
Now the memories keep surfacing. I remember always wanting to buy from the ice cream man when he came down our street, but my mom would not give me money for that because she was so frugal and always bought a half gallon from the grocery store. Just for the experience of it,  when the Bungalow Bar truck came down the street and cry out "HO"... the driver would stop and look around, never seeing us as we surpressed our giggles  while we hid in the bushes.
Oh.... I remember always feeling safe... my mom walked me to school the first day of Kindergarten and after that I was all on my own. We never locked the doors and we played out ALL day long  coming home only for lunch and going home only when it was dark. As I left CH when I was only ten... I have a very faint memory of an A&P being a small grocery store with wooden floors covered with sawdust. My mom would choose her coffee and it would be ground in a red grinder.  Speaking again of how safe I always felt... I remember how outside the A&P under the window on the shaded sidewalk, would be parked all of the baby carriages draped with the babies sleeping peacefully.... while the mothers shopped inside! On the other side of the door was a metal horse that need a child begging for the coin that was needed to get a "ride. Great memory... but I for the life of me I cannot recall where that A&P was. Somehow I can't remember if it was Linden Blvd, but I don't recall where there was another road that it may have been on. Can anyone help me out?
After we left in 1959 we would go back to visit and I remember how my one time neighbors were all moving out. My neighbor's son, Joe, I was told, was just walking down the street when he was shot in the hand by a drive-by shooter.  Up until then I had never known fear... but from what I have heard, it only got worse and worse after that. I have so many more memories that I will have to post later, but I will leave you with memories of my most important possessions... my pink Spalding ball and my roller skate key! (probably because they each would cost a whole quarter if I had to replace them.)!!!!!!

Last edited by DoublePlay (2012-06-24 23:57:46)

#1073 2012-06-22 13:08:16

brian007

I know alot of those names,What happened to Ellen Owadiak,Mathew Moran had a son with her. I lived on 324 th 118 th ave cambria heights,
Ande went to Sacred heart and thomas edison and pompano beach high in florida.

#1074 2012-12-15 12:13:31

vinny alba

Hi. I just signed up with this board. My father and his brother owned the deli on 219th and Linden Blvd. If anyone has any memories of the place please respond.

#1075 2013-05-29 14:16:52

Joe_from_11411

I just signed up and must say that reading the posts brings back very fond memories of growing up in Cambria Heights. I had such a wonderful and memorable childhood growing up there. I have lived in many places on Long Island and nothing compares to the family atmosphere and how everyone looked after each other in that neighborhood. My family moved into Cambria Heights in 1963 when I was only 7 months old and lived there until 1975 when I was 13. I attended PS 147 for Kindergarten and then Sacred Heart. My house was on Linden Blvd between 226th and 227th streets and was across from the empty lot. That lot was once a farm and I recall the old man on the tractor working the field. Years later, it became a place to play ball and was the outfield for stickball and baseball, that we played against the store wall on 227th st. We were always running down to A to Z to buy new "Pinky Balls" since they either got lost or they would split in half. Does anyone recall the slot car racing place on Linden Blvd between 227th and 228th street?  I have so much more things to bring up, that I will have to save it for another time.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu