Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2005-07-22 17:41:58

_socoh

Eitingon

Hello,
I'm looking for any information about the Eitingon 0r Etingon family from Belarus.Before the Russian revolution they used the Yiddish spelling: Eitingon (or Aitingon) but after 1917 they wrote their name as Etingon (Russian style).
My Etingon family is from Zaverezhje, nearby Mogilev. This town was established in 1830. My ggfather Aron Etingon or his father Hirsh Eitingon probably came to Zaverezhje from a nearby town sometime about 1830+. My grandfather Berko Etingon had many relatives in Mogilev: amog them a sister married to Bedienerman, a sister (Dvora?) in Rechitsa,etc. Shklov is nearby Zaverezhje. I'll be glad to get any information about possible "roots" of my Etingon side.
Sophie.

#2 2005-07-23 11:43:29

_richardmcdermott

Re: Eitingon

Eitingon

Leonid Eitingon (Dec.1,1899 - 1981) Was a general in the NKVD the soviet secret police later called the KGB. He was the organizer of the murder of Leon Trotsky. There is a great deal of information about his family  in the book "SPECIAL TASKS" by Pavel Sudoplatov, Little Brown, 1994.

#3 2005-11-01 18:13:03

_mkettington

Geneology

Just found your post in Google search. Am descended from Eitingon and have collected lots of info over last 10 years including some geneology charts.

Please email me at the following for more information:

Marty@ecsassoc.com

#4 2005-11-26 12:43:44

_odnov

Leonid Eitingon

General Leonid Eitingon was the NKVD controller in the Soviet assasination of Leon Trotsky in Mexico City in 1940. His field alias in that operation was "TOM" -- and you can find documents in the NSA's VENONA project. See the summary at http://history.acusd.edu/gen/text/coldwar/venona4.html

Note that these records mistakenly refer to "Eitington" instead of the proper spelling, Eitingon.

#5 2005-12-08 16:07:41

_socoh

Eitingon, Etingon, Etington

Thanks to everyone for hints, links and information.

#6 2006-01-28 17:05:03

_***

Russian side of Eitingon family tree

Leonid (Naum) Eitingon's son Vladimir is currently a Professor, Chair of Labor Economics and Management Department, Economic Faculty, Voronezh State University, Voronezh, Russia.

#7 2007-04-26 16:47:41

_bevborneitingin

eitingin

My father was born in Vitebsk in what is now Belarus. He had many brothers and sisters in Russia and moved to the US through Cuba in 1930's. Two sisters lived in the United States- Olga and Rifka. He tried to contact family in Russia, but never was successful.

Do you think "Eitingin" is related to your family?

#8 2008-03-30 10:28:23

_sergeitingon

Famile Eitingon

Greetings!
My name is Sergey Ejtingon.
More than 10 years I am engaged in history of surname Эйтингон, and for this time have collected enough the big archive.
With pleasure I shall exchange with you the information! Communicate with me.
s.eitingon@gmail.com

P.S. Unfortunately, I do not own English language, therefore in advance I ask to forgive for style - I use the automatic translator

#9 2013-11-11 00:09:08

Isabella G & Gideon R

To all who have posted on this subject:

We are engaged in a biographical study of Dr. Max and Mirra Eitingon.. Max (Mohilev, 1881- Jerusalem, 1943), a disciple and sponsor of Sigmund Freud, was a member of the fur-trading family. A recent article of ours on the subject is freely accessible at http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/books/105954/atomic-bombshell . A  full scholarly-journal paper is at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14725886.2012.646699#.Un_pYOI0Cuk -- we'll be glad to send the latter text to anyone who does not have access through a library.

We'd very much like to correspond with you all about the information you posted, and may have a lot more that might interest you. Please contact us directly ar foxbats.over.dimona@gmail.com !

Isabella Ginor and Gideon Remez
Research Fellows, Truman Institute, Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu