Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2004-12-04 13:54:51

_robin

growing up on 71st crescent

just discovered this site..what memories! I went to PS 26 -1960- Mrs. Samelson for kindergarten..Mrs. Newberger(sp) for 6th grade..Ryan.3yr Sp..forgot a lot..rememebr the blue gym outfits/taps on sneakers/Steppin'Out..Mrs. Goldberg for Math..Mr. Frey for Earth Science (major crush) Lewis was definitely fun..hung out with Marla, Janie, Shelley, , Susan..rememer SING....Steve, Weber and Pops..Graduated in Jan, 1972..went to Queens College ( where else!!)
Boomingdales, Emphasis, Paraphrenalia on Austin Street..getting jeans onMain Street.The Bead Store(making earrings)
ball field at Cunningham Park..corner of 193rd and the turnpike
going to services at Hillcrest..bagels after
for 7 cents (ouch). Learning how to drive behind Bloomies and Mays...drivers ed somewhere in Jamaica Estates (school??)
best place to grow up..

#2 2004-12-04 21:15:29

_marcia

Re: growing up on 71st crescent

71st Crescent

I grew up on 69th Ave and 186 Lane across the street from Creative Nursery School, where I went to pre-school.  I also went to PS 26, 2 year SP at Ryan and Lewis ('74 grad--I just chaired our 30 year reunion.)  My sister graduated in '72 from Lewis. What is your last name, Robin?
We also played softball at Cunningham Park.......

#3 2004-12-06 13:20:30

_marcia

71 s crescent

I never played ball in Cunningham Park...I think there were more fun activities going on...Last name was Gardiner..I graduated from Lewis in '72. Who was your sister?

#4 2004-12-06 19:14:06

_marcia

71st Crescent

My sister's name is Fern.  Our last name is/was Goodhart. We also went to services at Hillcrest and both graduated from Queens College.

#5 2004-12-06 19:34:22

_robin

i definitely remember..

hi marcia.

definitely remember your sister's name..Ill have to look in the yearbook to see her.

#6 2004-12-28 21:57:21

_joan

Hi Marcia, this is Joan.  Thanks for letting me in on this website.  I've passed it on to several people.  It's so great having so many shared memories. . .

Here are just a few-- Union turnpike with all the Jewish deli's, (.90 corned beef sandwiches) great Italian places (with real Italians running them!), the bowling alley (how much a game, .50??!!!), Lorenzo's pizzaria (1.25 for two slices and a drink)bagels, bagels, bagels, the movie theater with matrons taking care of you if you were under(how old? can't remember)

P.S. 26 from 1962-68, Mrs. Lieber, Ladehoff, Longobardo, Sheehan, Levin, Gosch and Prince.
Ryan and Jamaica.

Anybody out there from around 187th street and 73rd avenue?

Anybody

#7 2005-02-24 23:20:27

_debra

Robin's Memories

Hi Robin, It's Debra Davidson.  Yes, I think we all had that crush on Jerry Frey our adorable Earth Science teacher.  With his curdory jackets and his scotch plaid tie that indicated we were getting a surprise quiz!  A bunch of us actually dropped him on him in his apt in downtown Flushing once.  He was mortified!

And wasnit that store the "Bead Bowl"? 
I remember Susan Rosenberg causing a commotion by wearing "hot pants" to a sweet 16 party held at the Steak Pub---maybe Linda R's?

I'm still in NY--in Manhattan.  Where are you?

Debra
DebraLDavidson@aol.com

#8 2005-04-16 23:22:13

_marcy

71st Cres.

Hi Robin:

My aunt, uncle and 2 cousins grew up on 71st Crescent.  My cousins are Barry and Billy Mechanic.  Did you know them?

I lived on 65th Crescent and went to 179, not 26.  My last name is also Mechanic.

#9 2005-04-18 21:21:26

_marcia

Barry Mechanic

Hi Marcy,
I went to PS 26 with Barry Mechanic and saw him at our reunion in 2001.  What fun!  Barry is a nice guy and was a nice guy as a child.

#10 2005-05-03 08:02:55

_marcy

reply to Robin

Hi Robin:

When I was told about this site, I called Barry to
tell him about it and I heard that he attended your
reuion.  I think that is so great that you all were
able to have such a wonderful event!  I moved
from Fresh Meadows in the middle of 6th grade at
179 up to Rockland County - but my cousins lived
there and my grandparents lived in the 13 story
building(their windows faced the circle with the
tree they always lit for the holidays) for many
years after we moved, so I sort of never really left
FM - I took my 14 yr old daughter back and we
walked all over thru the Oak Grove and it was
great to show her where I spent so many happy
years!  So glad I was able to read all the great
posts - Fresh Meadows was indeed a very special
place to grow up!  Take care!

Marcy

#11 2005-10-08 22:55:28

_stevelubo

Ryan JHS at al

Went to Ryan with Barry and Steve Perlmutter. We all went to Jamaica High with Richard Zelman. Wemt to PS 178, Hillcrest the bagel store, cunningham park lived on 190th street and 81st ave. Hard great times.

#12 2005-10-12 16:42:43

_marciag.

Steve Perlmutter

Went to PS 26 with Steve Perlmutter.  We had a PS 26 reunion in 2001 and many of us were hoping to see him.  If you're in touch with him, tell him I said hi!

#13 2005-10-18 15:57:45

_ronniev

the neighborhood

just found this site.  Wow!  I also went to PS 26 (70), Ryan(73) & Lewis(76).  I lived in the 20/21 story bldg.  I'm still in the area and get to see how it's changed, but I still remember plenty.

#14 2005-12-30 17:42:27

_marciag.

Francis Lewis Class of '76 30 year reunion

Ronnie V,
Don't miss the 30 year reunion for the FL class of '76.  Go to Greatreunions.com for details!  It's in June 2006.

#15 2006-06-30 18:01:26

_kaufman

73rd Ave.

I went to P.S. 26 through 4th grade.  Ms. Arat, Lederhoff, Longobardo, Iverson, Seemat.
Milton Z. Clark, principal.

I lived on 73rd Ave & 193rd St. in NY Life duplexes great memories of playing in the big field between the two rows of duplexes. 
Lots of kids, Morrells, Druckers, Essigs, Stahls, Rothmans, Hermans, Lessers.

Hillcrest Jewish Center 8 cent bagels.

Steven Kaufman

#16 2006-10-02 21:19:31

_hebrooks

wow!

just came across this site. I grew up on 195th St and 75th Ave. PS 26 with Mr Clark as principal, Mrs Levy for 6th grade - best teacher ever!  I was just retelling the story today about "the bagel place" on the way to Hillcrest.  Uncle Harry's candy store around 170th street?  Those were the fun times!
Howard

#17 2007-06-11 02:16:56

_warren

FM

Marcy - know you made that post a couple of years ago, but just had to say that I never put it together that Billy Mechanic was your cousin. Went to Hillcrest JC with him and Stephen Leichter; the three of us used to ditch music class and play ball in the stairwell. :^)

#18 2007-09-04 14:57:40

_cathy

to:hebrooks

I was in Mrs. Levy's class with you.  I still have our class picture in my "slam book" and I could even pick you out.  Dark hair, tall enough to be in either the top row or one right below. (Don't ask me what I did yesterday.)  I was best friends with Ricki, who, thanks to the internet, I found last year and re-established our friendship which fizzled when I moved to Pa. right after 6th grade.

#19 2007-12-08 21:52:23

_barb

Oh My God! How wonderful to find all this nostalgia about Fresh Meadows! I too grew up on 71st Crescent (2 different duplexes - 35F and 45A) and went to PS 26 from '61-'67, K though middle of 5th when I moved to Manhattan...ugh, culture shock! Went to FM nursery (later called Creative)...at PS 26 had Longobardo, Messina, Hudtwalker, Sheehan (and then Sheinberg - who was AWESOME), Semat and Levy (also awesome!)... sledding on the hill behind the nursery and the 20/21 story building...remember the noon sirens?? Lox-O-Rama on 188 St for bagels and lox EVERY Sunday...Bloomies and the movie theater (Century Meadows, I think)....and the best climbing trees anywhere!!! Thanks so much for bringing me back!!

#20 2007-12-08 22:01:06

_barb

71st Crescent

I almost forgot...anyone remember Sweets N Treats, the candy store across the street from 26? I couldnt wait to go there after school for penny candy and either Spaulding or Pennsy Pinkie red rubber balls! (cost 25 cents as I remember)

#21 2008-02-15 00:20:26

_jerryfrey

Ryan JHS

I was that major crush. The science teacher who wore the corduroy and and the test tie. Never thought of myself as a crush. Was balding and putting on weight at the time. Nice to know I am remembered. Taught 39 years before retiring. The years at Ryan were my first and most wonderful teaching years. I was only 23 years old the first year at Ryan. Anyone remember Mr. Bernstein. I married his wife's first cousin. My email address is MEDIAMAN_1@YAHOO.COM. Live in Florida (Daytona)

#22 2012-05-21 20:31:17

LaurenceB.

This is a wonderful board, but it appears to have been dormant for about 4 years. I lived on 194th St between 75th Avenue and Union Tpke. I went to P.S. 26 and remember all my teachers: Mrs. Iverson, Miss Scharf, Miss Gosch, Miss. Semat. Then we moved to the other side of GCP and I went to P.S 178.
Barry Mechanic, you were in my cub scout group along with Jerry Thayler, dead young. Steven Perlmutter, I remember you too. Nancy Bader, Maxine Zeidberg.  I went to Hillcrest J.C. Then went to Ryan J.H.S. Teachers, let's see: Mrs. Keller, Mr Berkovic (Math), though he was older than me, Joe Walsh of The Eagles went to Ryan.

I ended up getting my Master's from Columbia, my Ph. D. from NYU. I teach in CUNY and live in the West Village. I think of the old neighborhood always.

#23 2013-11-21 21:26:36

Fnm75

I also lived on 71st Crescent between 1963 and 1968. I lived in the garden apartments right behind " The Farmer ". Went to PS 26 for 2 years, then Ryan for 3. Steven Meisel, famous NYC fashion photographer was in my grade at Ryan. I also played ball in the large grassy area between the duplexes with Steve Kaufman. Bought rubber balls at Sweets and Treats on 69 Ave right across from 26. Moved to LI for high school, but still tell everyone that I'm from Fresh Meadows. Lots of smart and athletic kids. Now a cardiologist in Fla, nearly 60 y.o. Great childhood memories. Keith Meyer

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu