Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2004-09-27 15:34:07

_p.degen

French Hospital

I am looking for photographs of the French Hospital around 1938.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Email:

OJTMultimedia@aol.com

#2 2004-12-02 23:00:02

_adlerrot

Re: French Hospital

French Hospital

I have a birth certificate from 1940 which has a small picture of the French Hospital on it.
My email adress is adler@lawyer.com

#3 2005-03-23 16:51:34

_adele

French Hospital

Although the it ceased to function as a hospital sometime in the 1970's the building is much the same it has always been. 

#4 2005-03-30 10:09:15

_meb

The French Hospital

Does anyone know which hospital absorbed The French Hospital's patients/records?
Pls respond to mbette9019@aol.com
Thanks

#5 2005-04-01 19:46:31

_rx7srbest@aol.com

French Hospital, NY

If anyone has a picture of the French Hospital please e mail it to me.

Also, what is it today.  I was born there in
I just recently met a women my age, my
Dr's nurse.  She said she had the same birthday as I did and then believe it or not,
we were both born in the same hospital.
We were like totally shocked and couldn't believe we shared time in the same nursery and in those days the Mom's and babies stayed in the hospital 10 days. 

#6 2005-04-05 23:22:39

_ostiles

French Hospital

What is the address of French Hospital?  And I too was born thre in 1945,  Where are photos of it?

#7 2005-05-26 16:19:24

_ogden

looking for my mother

I was born in the french hospital in 1959 ogden mcgahan is my name. I am loking for the mother that All i know is her name, hence I need to know how to have the records accessed. her name is Margaret Patricia Stevenson McGahan.

ogden@stny.rr.com

#8 2005-05-29 14:11:23

_babypalms

French Hospital

There was a hospital in Yorkville called Misrecodia Hospital on 86th Street between 1st and York aves or York and East End Ave. I believe it later moved to the Bronx. There was a small chapel in the hospital that was serviced by the altar boys from St. Joseph's Church on Street for the french nuns. French nuns staffed the hospital.

#9 2005-08-15 13:15:21

_jderonde

french hospital, nyc

The French hospital was on 8th Avenue & West 30th Street in Manhattan. Run by a bunch of nuns and served as sort of birthing center for unwed mothers that usually resided in like "group" homes in the neighborhood. As I understand it it, the hospital, was absorbed by SUNY which now runs a very large complex in the same general vicinity. I too am looking for the purpose of finding a woman who gave birth there in 1945, Her name appears to have been Sarah Y. Carey, age 20. my email is jderonde@bellsouth.net

#10 2006-01-12 18:26:52

_lancaster

French Hospital....

Finances:  Did it go bankrupt?

Were the workers paid pensions?

Physical Plant:

Was it turned into cooperative Housing? 

#11 2006-01-14 22:54:14

_mstonephd@frontierne

french manhattan hospital

I was born at French Manhattan Hospital,   January 27, 1959.I am interested in learning the history of the hospital, what order of nuns operated the hospital, where are the records from the hospital today, how can one obtain their records, etc. I believe that I was left at this hospital for months until I was adopted. I was failure to thrive and am interested in my medical care, and the people that would have cared for me. I would be grateful for any info. My birth name was Marissa Labey, and my mother's name was Gwyneth Labey.

#12 2006-04-29 18:53:48

_lidiann

THE FRENCH HOSPITAL

I LIVE IN WHAT WAS THE FRENCH HOSPITAL IN CHELSEA NEW YORK. I HAVE BEEN TRYINGF TO FIND HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL BUT HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO. ANY BODY HAVE ANY INFO??.. EMAIL L3ABYLIDI2@AOL.COM

#13 2006-05-30 16:34:59

_howie

The French Hospital

I have information & pictures of this building. Please contact @ howmar2306@msn.com
I was there when it was build just off
9th Ave between 29th & 30th Streets.

#14 2006-07-14 23:06:34

_wallin

French Hospital

I, too, was born in French Hospital.  Born on 28 June 1954.  Have been told that Babe Ruth died there, and that it's mentioned in "The Godfather."

#15 2006-07-20 13:22:47

_obrien@dickinson.edu

Willa Cather and French Hospital

Greetings. I am a Willa Cather biographer and want to write abouther experiences at the French Hospital during the 192os and 1930s...hard to find information about the hospital. Evidently she praised the food there!  If anyone has information, or knows where I can find archives or sources, that would be great.

Sharon O'Brien
Dickinson College

#16 2006-07-21 11:28:41

_barjstone1@aol.com

The French Hospital

The anthropologist Ashley Montagu's daughter was born there March 23, 1937.  An interesting fact, but it's all I know.

#17 2006-08-12 19:25:24

_writertomyeager

no proof of the p[lace i was born

thank god for this page-nobody believes there was such a place-woo this is such a relief to know i aint completely crazy

#18 2006-08-20 20:57:41

_barbsgems

French Hospital

I too was born in French Hospital on June 17, 1954.  In fact, my mother worked as a nurse there for several years.  She was one of the nurses who took care of Babe Ruth when he was a patient there.   She had just gotten out of nursing school.   I don't know anythinf about the unwed mother part of the hospital, but I do know it certainly was also a traditional hospital; she was a surgical operating room nurse, as well as working a surgical floor.

#19 2006-08-20 21:45:19

_barbsgems@aol.com

French Hospital

In addition to the above info, I have several employee newsletters and I know the names and addresses of several doctors and other nurses who worked there.  If I can help, please email me and let me know.

#20 2006-10-05 13:20:35

_michaelg.

Me too...

Was born there in Feb 54, as with my 3 brothers too in the years that followed. Has anyone got any other information back on it, pictures and the such.

#21 2006-10-05 13:22:07

_michaelg.

keymjg@comcast.net

Forgot my email address...

Michael G.

#22 2006-10-07 08:21:45

_dsanchez

FRENCH HOSPITAL

Glad to know the place existed. I too was born at French Hospital in 1963. 

#23 2006-11-10 18:14:39

_margaret

French Hospital

My Mother was a mid-wife in the French Hospital in the early 60's. Both myself and brother were born there. I was recently asked at US Immigration where I born and the immigration officer did not realy believe me. he told me that he never heard of the place! So I was really intrigued to see this discussion.
margaret@the-andersons.us.

#24 2006-12-26 18:16:17

_katrine

French Hospital, NY

I too was born in the French Hospital in 1949.  I have my original birth certificate and on it there is a very small picture of the hospital.  The address of the hospital was 329 West 29th Street NY 1, NY.  The birth certificate has my name hand written in ink and has the name of the doctor in attendance - E. George Rosanello, M.D.  The certificate is embossed with FRENCH BENEVOLENT SOCIETY - APRIL 13TH 1819 - NEW YORK.  The hospital number was 38907.  My mother is french and had just arrived in the US on the ship, Queen Mary. She checked into the Governor Clinton Hotel and shortly thereafter went into labor.  The hotel management recommended the French Hospital. 

#25 2007-01-03 17:32:46

_v.hopson

French Hospital memories

Wow! This is very interesting. I came upon the page quite by accident.

Both my grandmother (Margaret McQuaid) and great-grandmother (Ruby McQuaid) worked at French Hospital. Ruby worked there from c. 1920 – c. 1960, after leaving Ontario, Canada after the death of her husband, a Doctor, during the influenza epidemic of 1918. My grandmother Margaret stayed in Canada until done with high school, when she joined her mother at French in 1931. She attended nursing school there and worked from c. 1931 – c. 1943 when she joined the Army.

Here are a few of the stories that I remember…

Margaret spoke often about the food at the hospital, saying it was fantastic and held to the highest standards of French Cuisine. According to her, the commissary was known as one of the best French restaurants in the city. They were famous for serving patients delicacies such as squab, (of which my grandmother was intensely jealous). It was the food as much as the quality of care that attracted celebrities to the hospital. Among notable patients were the famous Flying Wallendas who performed at the nearby Madison Square Garden.

It is interesting to note that the hospital also served a number of wealthy Black and African-American celebrities because they were better received than at other hospitals in the city. I can’t remember any of the names but they were a lot of jazz musicians – maybe the likes of Duke Ellington?

She once literally ran into Eddie Cantor in a hallway there.

She was a nurse for the French captain of the SS Normandie, the world’s largest ocean liner, after the ship caught fire, burned and capsized in New York harbor while being converted to a troop carrier during WWII. Having grown up in Canada, and being something of a cosmopolitan young woman, she did her best to converse with him in French. This was always met with pained grimaces, which she thought were the consequence of his injuries. The truth was revealed one day when he desperately begged her to speak to him only in English, since he found her crude French pronunciation and grammar excruciating.

One of her more colorful stories concerned a co-worker, a nurse with a habit of dipping into the patients’ medicine cabinet a little too often. That nurse was the sister of Arthur Fellig, known to the world as the photographer Weegee. My grandmother claims that the nurse climbed out on a balcony of the hospital one evening while high and threatened suicide. I got the distinct impression that she did not get along very well with Nurse Fellig.

Sometime in the late 30s or early 40s, my grandmother became engaged to a Jewish doctor at the hospital and went so far as to rent a large apartment in the brand-new Parkchester apartments in the Bronx. When she suddenly broke off the engagement, she kept the apartment and her mother moved in. Ruby continued to live in the apartment through the war and into the 1970s.

My grandmother would be tickled to have seen this page and I am sure that she could have answered some of the questions here. It was always my intention to document her life. I am sorry that I never did it. These are just a few stories, the more interesting ones that I remember. I am trying to sqeeze more out of my dad and will post them if I can.

A few years back I visited the site of the hospital, just a few weeks after my Grandmother passed. It looks like a great building and we all know that it had a great past. I wish there was more about it out there. Since all I can get are these little snippets.

Feel free to contact me: v_hopson(at)yahoo.com

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu