Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2004-12-23 11:21:06

_carole

gotham hospital

I tell people I was born in Gotham Hospital and people think I'm either joking or that I have a Batman fixation. Well, that's what it says on my birth certificate but I haven't been able to find any nformation on it. Does anyone know where it was? how long it was here? And why it's gone?

I'd really appreciate it!

Carole

#2 2004-12-23 13:12:19

_bobbrauer

Re: gotham hospital

Gotham Hospital

I too was born in Gotham Hospital Sept. 17, 1948. My mother rememmbers that it was a small hospital only 80 to 90 beds and was housed in a small building about 4 stories. She remembers it being on a southeast corner of Madison Avenue some where in the upper 60's or lower 70's. There was a DR. Max Gerson who practiced medicine in Gotham Hospital who is somewhat famous for his pioneering work in the treatment of cancer patiences. I do not (nor does my mom) whether the Hospital was absorbed by another institution. The building was demolished a number of years ago. Over the years I have had fun showing my birth certificate that proudly shows I was born in Gotham Hospital, particularly to Batman Fans.

#3 2005-01-01 14:31:46

_laura

gotham hospital

Interesting to read these postings!

I was born in Gotham Hospital in Feb. 1947 and
last night in conversation with an acquaintance
discovered that she too had been born there, in
1940.  Neither of us knew where it was located,
though I think I remember my mother telling me
that it was somewhere in the 80's, and I would
guess on the east side because my parents lived
in Yorkville. 

I decided to check for info on the web, and
discovered that Gotham Hospital had 85 beds,
that Dr. Max Gerson was associated with it, and
that its director was a Dr. George Miley, who was
evidently quite eminent -- but still no information
about where it was actually located. 

I'd be interested to learn more, if anyone has any
further information.

#4 2005-01-11 11:48:07

_evid2

Gotham  Hospital

From the 1935-1936 Medical Directory of New York, Index of Advertisers:

PRIVATE  HOSPITALS
Gotham  Hospital  30 East 76th St.,  New York, N.Y. Rhinelander 4-1950.

#5 2005-01-24 13:25:19

_christina

Gotham Hospital

I too was born in Gotham Hospital in June 1950. The address given by evid2 is correct. My father took a picture of the building in 1950. I had also looked up the address in the internet before I visited New York in April 2002. I took another picture. The building was still there then. My mother's doctor's name was Dr. Max J. Sichell.

#6 2005-04-15 18:05:21

_lennard

Gotham Hospital...Christina's reply

Christina mentions that Dr. Max Sichell was her mother's doctor.  He was my mother's doctor too.  I was born in Wadsworth Hospital in Manhattan in 1949.  I'm trying to find out more about Max Sichell.  Do you have any further information?

#7 2005-05-05 05:53:51

_christina

gotham hospital

Re Dr. Max Sichell: Dr. Sichell was originally German, from Berlin, I think. His wife was a psychiatrist. Will try to find out more from my mother. He visited us a couple of times here in Switzerland. I have a picture of him if you are interested.

#8 2005-06-18 13:01:56

_resourceplanner

Gotham Hospital

Hi- Just saw Batman Begins and re-connected with my NYC roots, especially having been born in Gotham Hospital in 1948! On google, there are two discussion threads regarding the hospital.

A good resource for more information is the New York Historical Society. 
Wouldn't it be fun to have a "Reunion" of those born at Gotham Hospital at E 30th and 76th St! The movie was great, by the way! I wonder if those of us born at Gotham Hospital have a sense of "Justice" and commitment to helping make the world a better place? Could that be called the "Batman syndrome"?- Be happy out there!

#9 2005-07-17 19:08:51

_kitty

Gotham Hospital

I was also born at Gotham Hospital, December 8, 1948.  My mother and I were talking the other day and I was moved to try to find out more about Gotham.  It is really interesting that other Gotham babies seem to also be interested in knowing more.  Yes, a renuion could be really something.  I am going to seek more info.  if any one finds out anything please let us know and I will do the same.  Yes sense of justice could be part of it, but also it sounds like that hospital was an interesting place to start a life....bye for now.

#10 2005-08-10 21:36:45

_babyboomer

Gotham Hospital

I'll weigh in too.  I was born there August 1948 -- my mom always told me how hot it was that summer in NYC. My pediatrician was a Dr. Novak.  I left NY ages ago, and living in CA now.  Thanks for the address.  This is a nice fun chain of messages. Must have something to do with the hospital.

#11 2005-09-11 04:24:39

_christina

Gotham Hospital

If anyone is interested here are a couple of pictures concerning Gotham Hospital:

http://spaces.msn.com/members/gothamhospital/

#12 2005-10-13 23:16:48

_judi

Wadsworth Hospital

I read a message from Lennard mentioning Wadsworth Hospital in Manhattan where I onced worked but cannot remember the exact address.  If someone has that I would appreciate knowing what it was and the cross street.

#13 2005-10-17 09:04:01

_lennard

Dr. Sichell's photo

Dear Christina,
I would very much like to see the photo of Dr. Sichell.  Please contact me off line.  My e-mail address is lendavis@uic.edu
Best,
Lennard

#14 2005-10-17 09:06:02

_lennard

Wadsworth Hospital

Judy,
I believe the hospital was just off Broadway around 190th Street.  Does that jibe with your memory?
Lennard

#15 2005-11-25 19:41:43

_robinmarie

gotham ob/gyn

my dad(now deceased)was born at gotham hospital in march of 1941-his birth supposedly was written up in med.books-trying to find info -i think his md was a dr. longenetti(sp.) any info would be appreciated- thanks

#16 2005-12-31 22:01:06

_peter

Gotham Hospital

Iwas born at Gotham Hospital January 2, 1948.

I was always interested in the location of the building.  All I knew was that it closed many years ago.

A reunion of Gotham babies sounds like a nice idea.

#17 2006-01-13 15:03:31

_pjf

wadsworth hospitak

i was born at Wadsworth hospital in 1948 in Manhatten. i assume it is no longer standing. Lived near Wash Heights 1948 (somewhere along 180 st or so- and assume changed much. pjf

#18 2006-03-05 17:01:51

_peterc

gotham hospital

I too was born at Gotham Hospital in April 1944. I have
been asking around if anyone remembered the exact
location and decided to check on google.
Thank you 'evid2' for the location, and thank you
'christina' for access to the photos of it. those suggestions
of a reunion of those born in the 1940's is a nice idea.
Does anyone know when the hospital closed its doors, and
what the building had been occupied as since, to the time
of its demo?

#19 2006-08-06 09:38:36

_resourceplanner

Gotham Hospital

Back again a year later.  It could be that in this phase of our lives, it is a matter of "tracing our roots" for those born at Gotham Hospital in the 1940's.
My parents lived in the Bronx when I was born so I guess Gotham Hospital was the closest one at the time. We later moved to Washington Heights. 
I love NYC but have lived most of my life in Hawai`i. That could be the result of having been born in December of 1948 ....burr. Was that the year of the massive snow storm in NYC?   Take care out there!

#20 2006-09-05 16:23:53

_ffrankk

Gotham Hosp

Guess we all share the joke. Born there in '49, My sis was born a year later and her BC says Manhatten Hospital.

#21 2006-11-30 23:14:04

_robertmichels

Gotham Hospital

I can't believe I found this website. I was born at Gotham Hospital on 7/19/1944 at 8:50 a.m.  The physician was Sidney Rieser, M.D., address: 277 West End Ave.  I remember my mother telling me that the hospital was torn down.  One interesting fact..my mother told me that she was taking me for a stroll near the Empire State Building on the date that the plane crashed into it.

#22 2006-12-14 14:53:53

_bruce

Gotham Hospital

I was born there in August 1943. We lived in Flushing, I have no idea why we travelled that far.No one in my family can remember either. Thanks for any information.

#23 2007-01-15 09:57:02

_jo-ann

Gotham Hospital

Gotham Hospital was at 30 East 75th Street in New York City.  I was also born there in the late forties - I don't know what happened to the hospital but people also think of Batman whenever I mention i was born there.

Jo-Ann

#24 2008-01-03 22:43:35

_paulv

Ink Color

I'm a latecomer, trying to be sure of the hospital. My birth certificate was completed in an unusual color of ink, but I can't find it.
Did anyone else have the handwritten info done in a color other than black?
Please let me know.
I was born there in October, 1944, and I'm a psychiatrist, practicing in Virginia

#25 2008-01-03 23:06:33

_paulv

Gotham Hospital

In response to an earlier message from someone born in '43: My parents also lived in Flushing in 1944, but moved to Manhattan after I was born. I wonder if one of the Docs who admitted patients to Gotham had a practice in Flushing. I do remember that my mother worked in lower Manhattan at the time, rigging parachutes.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu