The New York Times historical files for 1901 through 1910 shows an article from September 17, 1907, about a "Mardi Gras" festival at Coney Island. John Econopouly, who owned a hotel on "the Bowery" and several candy stores, was named King. There is still a passageway among the amusements at Coney Island called The Bowery.
On October 13, 1907, the Times reported that "The Mardi Gras King Loses". He had been prevented from showing movies on Sundays at his candy store on Broadway, and had tried to get a court order preventing the police from interfering with his business.
There is nothing under Econopouly in the Brooklyn Eagle database, but at present that only goes up to 1901. Keep an eye on the Brooklyn Public Library homepage, because it is working at extending the file into the 20th C. Or go to the Brooklyn Histlry Room and the BPL, Grand Army Plaza, and ask to see the clippings on Econopouly from the Brooklyn Eagle morgue. The Eagle file is free and open to all.
George A. Thompson
Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern Univ. Pr., 1998.