Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2014-06-02 08:43:31

Mad Sci Guy

Passing of an Old Flushingite

This past week I had to bury an old Flushingite, my mother.

She was born in Honolulu. Hawaii and came to Whitestone when she was an early teenager as her step-father was stationed in Fort Totten.

She met my father under the clock on Main Street and Roosevelt when she was 18 and it was love at first site.  Less than a year later the were married and living on Parsons Blvd near Franklin Ave.  While they always had financial trouble (my father was a gambler) they had a very happy marriage and had 4 sons, the oldest living just 1 day.  Unfortunately this marriage came to a sudden end in the late 70s when my Dad had a heart attack at work and never came home.

My mother made a promise to my father at his funeral that no matter what she would never leave Flushing, the place where they lived, raised a family, and where he is buried.  She spent the next 3 decades living in the same 10 block area that they lived in, refusing offers from my brother or myself to live in better areas on Long Island.  She was an independent woman and never had a major problem in Flushing, the only few issues she resolved herself including getting a local politician to remove a homeless person from her apartment building when the local police blew her off. 

She had some tough roads after my Dad died such as open heart surgery and watching my brother die of cancer, but she got to see three grandsons and 2 wonderful granddaughters from me and my wife.  After so many boys she spoiled my daughters rotten and they were extremely close to their beloved "grandma Vovo" which means grandmother in Portugese (here heritage from Hawaii). 

9 years ago my Mom began to suffer from dementia and could no longer live by herself.  She signed herself into a nursing home as she would not be a burden and still lived in Flushing these last 9 years.  The Benenson Rehab Pavillion on Parsons near Northern Blvd is a newer Nursing Home and took better care of my Mom than I ever could have hoped.

The past year she did not really know what was going on and could not talk.  She did not know my older brother anymore but still recognized me.  The last visit with my wife she took 5 minutes to take my hand and place it into my wife's hand, then she held them together for about 5 minutes until she fell asleep. 

She is at rest now with my father and will forever be in Flushing, and no matter what the town may appear to be or who lives there Flushing will always be a part of my heart and soul.

Good bye Mom, I love you very much.

#2 2014-06-02 09:13:59

jimbo
Website

Re: Passing of an Old Flushingite

Joe, what a beautiful tribute to your mother.... She was quite a woman and a fitting testimonial to a truly great Flushingite.
  I'm sorry for your loss

#3 2014-06-02 11:57:01

ed d

MadSciGuy
A very very thoughtful and sincere eulogy for a very special person. May she find peace in her new place. . There is no replacement for MOMS.  I lost my Mom 2 years ago at age 97, and it is amazing how parallel their lives were.  My Mom also never wanted to leave Flushing.  She lived in the same house for 65 years, and finally went to a nursing home (in Flushing) for a few weeks before she passed.
As an aside, I too was a gambler (gave it up many years ago), and during the 70s, hung around the pool rooms and the private poker clubs in Flushing.  I knew most of the "players" and wouldnt be surprised if your Dad and I knew each other back then. If you would care to share his name with me, I would probably say "I knew him".

#4 2014-06-02 12:40:34

Mad Sci Guy

Jimbo and Ed, thanks for your sentiments!

Lost my Dad 37 years ago suddenly and my mom recently from a long term illness.  Feels the same both times.

My dad was a great pool player and counted cards, yet never gambled on either (aside from fun family games).  His big thing was the horses and he was very bad at that.  Go figure!

#5 2014-06-02 12:58:09

Pomonoker

Condolences from a fellow Flushingite. It was a great place to grow up. May she rest in peace, sounds like she was a wonderful lady.

#6 2014-06-02 14:28:53

ed d

MadSciiGuy,

37 years ago, I was 35 and right in the thick of the Flushing "action" scene. Someday when you see me online, drop me a note with your dads name, I am certain our paths crossed somewhere.

#7 2014-06-02 20:15:16

from 28th street

Mad Science Guy, so sorry for your loss. I've always said you never outgrow your need for your mother.

#8 2014-06-03 10:02:12

Olivia

MadSciGuy--Sounds like your parents were wonderful people. No matter how old we are when it happens, the day we become orphans is a hard one. I am very sorry for your loss.

#9 2014-06-19 23:23:12

reardon
Website

Wherever they are now, they were grateful to have good son like you.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu