Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2014-03-15 14:02:39

Olivia

Block Parties

I don't remember if we've discussed this subject over the years, but I loved the annual block party when I was growing up. I lived on my block in Queens from the age of 5 until I went away to school @ 18. It was the highlight of the summer for me, 1st Saturday in July (I think). Some of the neighborhood guys played DJ. No tapes or CD's then, they hooked  a record player & 45's up to speakers. The local precinct blocked off the street traffic w/sawhorses & we danced all evening & had a ball. Had my 1st drink @ a block party & got sick. Each house put out food & drink & everybody went house to house & tried someone else's cooking. It's a wonderful neighborhood memory for me.

#2 2014-03-16 12:21:53

jimbo
Website

Re: Block Parties

I have been to a few block parties but not in my old neighborhood in Flushing, we never had any. I was invited to go to a block party by some friends who moved to Flushing from places like Brooklyn, L.I.C. and Manhattan. When they found out that there was a block party in their old neighborhood I went with them. Great time, great food, and a great memory!

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu