Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2013-08-17 21:32:51

Mike

Queensboro Bridge Fire Yesterday

I meant to bring this up this morning, but forgot. I saw a story on the TV news this evening that reminded me.
A truck caught fire on the lower level of the 59st bridge yesterday morning and it was closed all day.
Traffic on the east side was at gridlock all afternoon and worse at rush hour last night.
Lucky me was in Brooklyn yesterday. I saw on the news that traffic was bad today, Saturday; it was only partially opened. They hope to have the bridge "repaired" (that's always scary to hear, what does that mean?) by Monday morning. Unfortunately I have to go to W 61st and Amsterdam ave Monday morning. Wish me luck.
Here's an online article from yesterday with some good photos of the fire.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/truck-fire-shuts-queensboro-bridge-heavy-black-smoke-billows-59th-street-bridge-article-1.1428779

#2 2013-08-31 13:40:35

Mike

Re: Queensboro Bridge Fire Yesterday

As of yesterday, exactly 2 weeks after the fire, a burnt looking 50 yard stretch of the outer lane of the Queens bound upper level is still blocked off. I've been to Manhattan and back 4 times in the last 2 weeks and have yet to see anyone doing anything to repair it. Go figure...

#3 2013-09-01 07:11:20

Pomonoker

They're too busy trying to find the criminals that buy or sell large soft drinks!

#4 2013-09-02 18:33:22

Mike

Another fire today on the bridge. I didn't even know about the one in April.
I mean, what the hell??? Is someone trying to tell me to pay for the Triboro every time I go to Manhattan?
---------------------------
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local/new_york&id=9230553

NEW YORK (WABC) -- A truck caught fire on the Queensboro Bridge earlier Monday causing closures of the lower level. Crews eventually cleaned up the accident in time for the Monday holiday commute.

Firefighters accessed the fire from the Manhattan bound lower level, which was closed to traffic while they battled the blaze.

The lower level of the bridge was closed while DOT members looked at the damage. All lanes of the bridge were open as of 3 p.m.

No injuries were reported and the cause of the fire is not known.

Another truck caught fire on the same bridge and damaged a floor beam Aug. 16. And in April, the bridge was closed briefly after a truck caught fire and caused an oxygen tank in the back to explode near the Manhattan entrance.

The bridge connects Manhattan and Queens.
---------------------------
PS, It just dawned on me, I always use the upper level to avoid the heaver traffic below because that's where trucks are allowed.
Now I have to think of the fact that I'm on the top of the Barbecue grill.
Speaking of which, I hope you all had a great holiday weekend!

Last edited by Mike (2013-09-02 18:50:30)

#5 2013-09-02 19:32:59

Sal

Unreal. In all my years working and living in Manhattan,I can't recall car or truck fires on the 59th Street Bridge.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu