Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2013-05-20 16:57:04

zahava

Greenhouse in Kew Gardens Hills (Queens)?

Kew Gardens Hills

Hello! Someone mentioned to me recently that there used to be a greenhouse where the Yeshiva of Central Queens is now (by 70th Road and 150th Street). Does anyone here remember this, and if so, can you give me any details about it? Thank you!

#2 2013-05-31 21:38:56

johnmanuel

Re: Greenhouse in Kew Gardens Hills (Queens)?

i noticed an old posting from way back in 2005-teddy reiser from yorkville was mentioned. Teddy was of German b/g,joined the army in 1965-lived on E.81st between york avenue and east end ave back in the 50's, early 60's. Any know of teddy-is he still alive?

#3 2013-05-31 21:57:00

johnmanuel

Hey hello to all-i noticed not too many folks on this site. Yes i was visiting old Yorkville in mahattan last May 2012. The apt. housing i lived in at 1528 york ave is now a garage to the high rise there. But the old building next to what use to be 1528 york ave is there-renovated somewhat, but still there. All has changed. 86st is no longer stubenville. Misiricoridia hospital that use to be on 86st brings memories. I was happy that Cart Sherz (spell?) park at the end of 86st was just about the same. St. Stephens of Hungary is still the same inside. I went there for 1951-1953; i ended up at PS158. Went to Wagner Junior High School 167. I do remember that summer of 1964 where the black kid got shot by a cop and all hell broke loose in that area.
Grad. from HS of commerce on W.65st. June 196: Academic Diploma! Than i toyed with Hunter College on 68st.for a while. Had a frank and papaya on 86st last year:It all didn't add up to .75cents-haaa.  So, after my honorable discharge in '71, i stayed in the State of Georgia. Graduated there in '77 with a BS in Criminal Justice-ya i worked the field. Went to nursing school-grad in 1988. Now retired at 67. Older, aches and pains. Good memories of Yorkville. If i had the $$$ i'd go back an live on 81st. I guess a one bedroom is about $2000.00 a month?? I now live upstate N.Y-simple-off of my SS checks!
When i was born in the Park East hospital, that use to be on 83rd st, my folks paid $25.00 a month for a two bedroom railroad flat. Those were the days! The 'frank man', stick ball, east river, Mass at St. Stephens and St. Monica's, east side house settlement-those were the days! Oh, this last march, i found, and communicated with,per email and letters, my foist girl friend from bronx community college in 1966-than one day simple said it would do her no good for me to come see her as she is committed. That was strange to me-just wanted to see an old friend from a long time ago. Seemed sort of silly and immature-but who knows where she is coming from.
Any one from my past life-hop the time machine with me and lets go back?God Bless-John Oh ya i was coming out of the Loews theatre on 86st on Nov. 22, 1963-age 18 and saw everyone in shock and crying-Kennedy got it that day. The movie was-"The Haunting". Ok-hope someone says Hi from my past world.
Opps-one last interject-summer of '64 worked at a drug store on East End Ave about 82st-use to deliver to the actor Don Ameche, and also once to Helen hayes. Got a better one here-Nov. 1961-stood downstairs to witness the pizza shop next store to be the scene of a mafia killing. Wow-cops followed me to and from High School up through 1964.  I was 15 when it happpened. More nasty, sexy stories to follow about good old Yorkville. Write in out there.

Last edited by johnmanuel (2013-05-31 22:07:43)

#4 2013-06-01 11:11:03

Sal

John welocme to Gotham. If you go back on the Neighborhood Stories page,you will find numberous posts of some of Manhattanites.  Andy R.,Paddy Moore,Sal ,Murry Hill,Boat Captain - from 28th Street all grew up in Manhattan. I lived at 312 E. 84th from '63 to '69, You might have know the Rich family? Merit Farms,H&H Automat, Typwriter Repair shop(86th Street memories) the place I miss most is the Ideal german Rest.

#5 2013-06-01 22:36:36

johnmanuel

Hey Sal tks for the response-anyone go to St. Stephens on E.82st from 1961-1953? Is Koch still out there? It's got to be the Robert Koch that fell down the side of the "little Moutain" in Carl Shertz (sp?) park-i remember his dad came and carried him off. Teddy Reiser from E.81st-anyone out there know if Ted is still with us?
Ya, ol German Town 86st is a memory-i saw it coming in '67! All ya nuts from yorkville-remember 'Counsin Brusy' from the radio, WINS station. Ya all remember Oct. 22,1962-i was 16. How many from Yorkville, went to Whitehall street for their Physical in 1965-I was called for it Sept. '65. Now ya all remember Nov 8th, 1965-BLACK OUT NIGHT!
They never drafted me-never!!!!-I RAN OFF AND JOINED THE MARINES. How young and stupid i was.
Hey any  one remember the girls from St. Vincents HS-like- "meet me in the alley"-;haaaa. Those were the days! Or go up the roof and bomb water ballons down to walking pedestrians-haaaa.
I use to deliver also from a butcher shop-age 13(1959)-wooooweeeee-that lady gave me an eyefull wearing her see threw robe-haaaaa. Oh ya, who was on the East River Jimmy Walker walk way when they were filming The World of Henry Orient at that fancy school-the black big extension is still there to look up at_That was summer of '64!  Anyone remember Angela Davis yelling from her cell downtown-was in '68-70?????
Come on crawl out all you ol geesers-like me- from the 50's and 60's!!!!
write in-nice stories, religious conversion stories-or nasty stories of those catholic high school girls-haaaaaa. Anyone call for Frank Serpico up at the 7th division in the Bronx-he was looking for spanish speaking college students-so a cop friend of mine told me in '69-i called and left a message. Never got an ans.
Ok ya all -God Bless0-say ya prays at night. Anyone at JHS167 on 76st from 1958-1961-boys and call-write in. Especially if ya were at H.S. of commerce, on W65st Manhattan, from '61-64. Or email me: harry_degino2@yahoo.com.
Ray steward-i believe ur in Florida-i wrote ya-your about 69 now-if ur on this site-hey write this 'ol guy!

#6 2013-06-01 22:48:08

johnmanuel

Sal-i only sort of remember the typewriter fix it shop on 86st. Rich family? It strikes a bell but would need more details-i mostlhy knew the kids and folks from 78st-82st york ave, and some surrounding in yorkville. My mother was half german-jewish blood so i went to the german theatre a lot. My father was central american. So, from the jewish neighborhoods out at Sheephead Bay, in Brooklyn to  the Puerto Rican theatre on the west side-i grew up with cultural tolerance as i was sort of a little of this and that-or as mom use to say-we're all out of Africa!! The Italian come from my mothers father's side.
Jean Stapleton just died friday-She was fabulous oon 'All in the Family! She also wenrt to Hunter College-probably was '41-43-or in there. Oh ya remember the strip joint-the Cameo Theatre down on 12th street-if we didn't like the girl we threw pop corn on the stage-haaaaa. I was 18 an a jerk.  Say hi again Sal-'where are ya now-am up state new york? Am 67-how old are u now??

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu