Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2012-08-20 12:18:06

RichH

Where in Brooklyn was the Democratic Welfare Club and other questions

I collect old poker chips.  Identifying where they are from and their history is half the fun.

I have this poker chip that beloged to the Democratic Welfare Club in Brooklyn.  I'm looking for an address, pictures of the place and any history available.

If you want to see the actual chip (and a card from the maufacturer stating the name of the place and where it was sent), here is a link to the New York page of my website: http://www.oldpokerchips.com/NewYork1.htm

If you go to the page you'll see I need help on other chips (for example: the APEX   ---- chip delivered in 1913)

Neat thing is that it was not uncommon for political clubs to have chips ---- and then get raided.  A lot of corruption back then.

BTW, click on the black "Click Me" button to see whatever info I have been able to gather.

Also, on my "Yachts" page ( http://www.oldpokerchips.com/Yachts1.htm ), I have chips from several of the titans of industry that were members of the NYYC.  Most interesting is the story I put together for the George Jay Gould chip.

Thanx for any help.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu