Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1001 2010-07-02 16:38:06

akakos

Re: cambria heights, Queens

I have yet to find anyone I know and you must be out there! Most of my "crowd" went to Sacred Heart but could not find the reunion page on Facebook, what am I doing wrong?   We hung out at Bill's Luncheonette on Linden.  The legal drinking age at the time was 18, we were all underage but so easy to phony up an ID and be the big shot to buy the beer and go to the bars, mainly Billy's Night Life.
          I live in Redondo Beach, Ca and there is an ex-Cambria Heights working at the Police Dept here?  I hope he reads this, would like to just say hello.

#1002 2010-07-05 15:48:27

Mike The Duck

Just search "Sacred Heart Reunion" on the Facebook page once you log in and you should be able to find the page concerning the reunion. Let us know....

Mike

Last edited by Mike The Duck (2010-07-05 15:49:11)

#1003 2010-07-13 07:47:24

lorie922

It now says "Sacred Heart Reunion (Multi class)" but searching for Sacred Heart Reunion will get you there.

#1004 2010-08-07 11:55:45

pjl0857

Sacred Heart Multi Class Reunion will be Oct 9, 2010 at the school!

I lived in CH from 1957 to 1977.  Great memories of SHS, the boys club, the german deli on Linden and 225th.  The german bakery on 224th.  The pizzaria on 221st.  Old Dominic's shoe repair next door.  Newcombs!  Those were the days!

#1005 2010-08-10 15:33:25

akakos

With the references to Father Mac..... getting married, is this Fr. McVernon?

#1006 2010-08-15 18:42:36

pjl0857

OK, time for a trip down memory lane.  I lived at 114-74 224th Street.  The CH I remember from my younger days was basically Italian, Irish and German, with little smatterings of everything else in between.  People took great pride in their homes.  I mean you could literally eat off the sidewalks of some of them.  I remember the Germany Bakery on Linden and 224th.  Dicks deli on 225th.  The Pizza place on 221st - 15 cents a slice.  There was an old Italian shoe maker named Dominic next door.  I remember double features at the movie theater, for the princely price of 25 cents.  I remember always having to behave myself, because, somehow, what ever I did found it's way home to my grandmother's ears before I got there.  I remember my grandmother and her cronies playing cards at each other's houses and thinking nothing of walking home at 11:00 at night alone.  No one ever locked their doors.  If you got sick in my family, there was no trip to the Doctor's office.  Back then, Harry Silverman, who had an office on 221st St, came to you.  The price of a house call was usually negotiated over a cup of coffee, after the always effective syringe of penicillin was administered.  I went to SH from 1963 - 1971.  Were the nuns mean?  Yeah, I guess so, but you would never go home and your parents.  That would just get you a worse beating there.  After all, you must have done something to deserve it!  The biggest decision we had to make during the summer in our grammar school years was which ice cream man to purchase from.  Good Humor, Bungalow Bar or Joe.  Naturally, Joe won 90 percent of the time.  After all, when kids didn't have the nickel or dime for an ice pop, Joe would toss freebies between his legs to the waiting masses.  We called it Joe throwing up!  We grew up.  We changed, and so did SH.  white flight as well as the challenges of a ah.... shall we say a racially evolving neighborhood.  Some of the changes we absorbed without any problems.  Some made us cringe.  We learned.  We dealt with tragedy, such as a good friend's brother drowning at Jones Beach.  We put up with the overbearing nuns and teachers at SH.  After all, we didn't want to be sent to PS147 with the heathens.  I remember SH being closed early in 1968 when MLK was assassinated.  The black kids in the public schools were expected to riot.  Funny though, it was never expected for the black kids at SH to react that way.  I remember the boys club, Father Mac, Dave Coyne and many others.  I remember working for the Tarintino's at the Chicken Den.  Delivering the Long Island Press. (Yes, that's were most of us learned to smoke, curse and gamble).  I remember everyone talking about the deterioration of Linden Blvd., and how it couldn' get much worse.  Having seen it just a year or so ago, all I can say is God!  How could we have been so wrong!  I remember the beautiful craftsmanship of the fine homes being replaced by bars in the windows.  How sad that was, and still is.  I remember the signs that were placed at the CH borders during the late 60's and early 70's, announcing that you were entering Cambria Heights, a community of good homes and fine folks.  I understand the signs are gone now.  I also understand that whether or not what they stated still applies is a matter of some debate.  I remember commuting to High School.  First, all the way to Middle Village to attend Christ the King, and then later just to Jamaica, to attend Hillcrest.  I remember, like it was yesterday, the people I hung out with.  The Zarella's on 228th St.  The Plunkett sisters on 227th.  Mike Brennan on 223rd.  Patty Carrol on 230th.  Sharon Cary and Joyce Rice on 224th.  The kids "up the block" - Mike Gilleran, Johnny Jordan (Johnny Boy).  After high school, I moved on to Queensboro Community College.  The first year was a blast!  My GPA for Party101 and Party102 must have been a 5!  Unfortunately, having put so much effort into that, the GPA that counted wasn't quite so high.  Like many of the kids from the neighborhood, I joined the Army.  Everyone thought that 3 years or so of "discipline" (like I didn't get enough of that in SH) would be a good thing, then I could rejoin CH society and become useful!  Didn't quite work out that way.  I retired from the military in 1995 in Virginia, having attained the rank of Sergeant First Class.  Now, fifteen years later, I'm still in Virginia.  working for the Postal Service as a Postmaster.  But, time and distance aside, Cambria Heights is still in my blood and soul, and yes, most days I miss it.  More that ever be reasonably explained.  So, like most of you, I'm here, reading about your memories, and maybe, from time to time, sharing some of my own.

#1007 2010-08-30 13:58:36

Jenn

Hey PJ,

I noticed that you mentioned Mike Brennon.  I was just wondering if you knew my brother JR. Genova.  They used to hang all the time.

#1008 2010-08-30 13:59:54

Jenn

I was wondering, on the FB page can we post pictures? I was thinking about taking pictures of the placed you guys have mentioned and posting them on the site.  I just thought that would be cool.  Let me know. I was just there on Saturday.  Went to my friends house that lives around the corner from my old house.

#1009 2010-09-06 12:37:24

Mike The Duck

Sure, post some pictures there if you have some!

Mike

#1010 2010-09-08 08:23:08

Mike The Duck

[quote=pjl0857]OK, time for a trip down memory lane.  I lived at 114-74 224th Street.  The CH I remember from my younger days was basically Italian, Irish and German, with little smatterings of everything else in between.  People took great pride in their homes.  I mean you could literally eat off the sidewalks of some of them.  I remember the Germany Bakery on Linden and 224th.  Dicks deli on 225th.  The Pizza place on 221st - 15 cents a slice.  There was an old Italian shoe maker named Dominic next door.  I remember double features at the movie theater, for the princely price of 25 cents.  I remember always having to behave myself, because, somehow, what ever I did found it's way home to my grandmother's ears before I got there.  I remember my grandmother and her cronies playing cards at each other's houses and thinking nothing of walking home at 11:00 at night alone.  No one ever locked their doors.  If you got sick in my family, there was no trip to the Doctor's office.  Back then, Harry Silverman, who had an office on 221st St, came to you.  The price of a house call was usually negotiated over a cup of coffee, after the always effective syringe of penicillin was administered.  I went to SH from 1963 - 1971.  Were the nuns mean?  Yeah, I guess so, but you would never go home and your parents.  That would just get you a worse beating there.  After all, you must have done something to deserve it!  The biggest decision we had to make during the summer in our grammar school years was which ice cream man to purchase from.  Good Humor, Bungalow Bar or Joe.  Naturally, Joe won 90 percent of the time.  After all, when kids didn't have the nickel or dime for an ice pop, Joe would toss freebies between his legs to the waiting masses.  We called it Joe throwing up!  We grew up.  We changed, and so did SH.  white flight as well as the challenges of a ah.... shall we say a racially evolving neighborhood.  Some of the changes we absorbed without any problems.  Some made us cringe.  We learned.  We dealt with tragedy, such as a good friend's brother drowning at Jones Beach.  We put up with the overbearing nuns and teachers at SH.  After all, we didn't want to be sent to PS147 with the heathens.  I remember SH being closed early in 1968 when MLK was assassinated.  The black kids in the public schools were expected to riot.  Funny though, it was never expected for the black kids at SH to react that way.  I remember the boys club, Father Mac, Dave Coyne and many others.  I remember working for the Tarintino's at the Chicken Den.  Delivering the Long Island Press. (Yes, that's were most of us learned to smoke, curse and gamble).  I remember everyone talking about the deterioration of Linden Blvd., and how it couldn' get much worse.  Having seen it just a year or so ago, all I can say is God!  How could we have been so wrong!  I remember the beautiful craftsmanship of the fine homes being replaced by bars in the windows.  How sad that was, and still is.  I remember the signs that were placed at the CH borders during the late 60's and early 70's, announcing that you were entering Cambria Heights, a community of good homes and fine folks.  I understand the signs are gone now.  I also understand that whether or not what they stated still applies is a matter of some debate.  I remember commuting to High School.  First, all the way to Middle Village to attend Christ the King, and then later just to Jamaica, to attend Hillcrest.  I remember, like it was yesterday, the people I hung out with.  The Zarella's on 228th St.  The Plunkett sisters on 227th.  Mike Brennan on 223rd.  Patty Carrol on 230th.  Sharon Cary and Joyce Rice on 224th.  The kids "up the block" - Mike Gilleran, Johnny Jordan (Johnny Boy).  After high school, I moved on to Queensboro Community College.  The first year was a blast!  My GPA for Party101 and Party102 must have been a 5!  Unfortunately, having put so much effort into that, the GPA that counted wasn't quite so high.  Like many of the kids from the neighborhood, I joined the Army.  Everyone thought that 3 years or so of "discipline" (like I didn't get enough of that in SH) would be a good thing, then I could rejoin CH society and become useful!  Didn't quite work out that way.  I retired from the military in 1995 in Virginia, having attained the rank of Sergeant First Class.  Now, fifteen years later, I'm still in Virginia.  working for the Postal Service as a Postmaster.  But, time and distance aside, Cambria Heights is still in my blood and soul, and yes, most days I miss it.  More that ever be reasonably explained.  So, like most of you, I'm here, reading about your memories, and maybe, from time to time, sharing some of my own.[/quote]
PJ,

What a great post. Thanks very much!

I, too, knew Sharon Cary and Joyce Rice--one of them, I think lived next to John Nealand (Bubby).

And how could I have forgotten Dominic the shoemaker?

I'm flying up to NYC to take my mom to the SH reunion. I've not been in the school since I graduated 6/69, but I have driven by it at least 1,000 times over the years.

Again, a GREAT post! CH is still in my blood and soul, too!

Mike

#1011 2010-09-22 16:03:31

ihs92375

Hi Toni

I was a friend of your brother Bubby for many years.  My name is Joe.  My brother Ralph was also your brother Rocco's friend.  I'm sorry to hear that Rocco passed away.  Ralph also is deceased since 02.

I used to hang out with Bubby and play ball at Sacred Heart School yard most summer days along with some of the other guys like Bob Griffen, Johnny Ruzinski, Louie DiGoia.  I remember your dog Queenie with the weird blue eyes.  We hung out at your house sometimes and I remember your mom driving us around in that 1964 red chevy .  I ran into Bubby many years back when he was married to Francine.  We use to bowl together and my wife and Fran became good friends.  I was so sad when I heard that they split up. I knew that he moved to NJ and I tried to contact him but he never returned my calls.  I have good memories of the old neighborhood.

#1012 2010-10-01 09:06:10

vitog28

I moved to the Heights when I was 3 years old in 1963, My Dad moved us from Ozone Park to be closer to his 2 Sisters and their families, the lived on 115th Ave, but moved out a few years later to Franklin Square and East Meadow, boy that pissed Dad off some!  Anyway we lived at 114-45 210th Street, between Murdock and 115th Ave. This was the unknown part of Cambria Heights, I remember many times when telling kids I met where I lived, they would say that that was St. Albans or Hollis or even Queens Village.

No, it was a part of Cambria Heights as I lived there from 1963 into the 90's, I learned that Cambria was from Francais Lewis Blvd North to Murdock  East up Murdock to the Cross Island Parkway South to 120th Ave. then West on 120th back past Springfield Blvd. returning to Francais Lewis.  The Andrew Jackson High Field was one of our best Baseball or Football fields, when the High School kids weren't hogging it.
That meant that us Little Kids had to play Stick Ball or Touch Football on 210th or 209th street.

I was also a part of Cub Pack 200 with my Best Friend Steven Broun, (who moved away, and my mother lost his new Phone Number and Address, Hey Steven where did you move to, How's your Brother Bruce, does he still have all those comic books. If you read this Call, Write Send a Carrier Pidgin.  I was also a Member of Sacred Heart Troop 333, untill I joined the Navy at 17.

I went to PS 147 till the beginning of 4th grade, when they had the Famous Teacher's Strike, then My mom dragged me over to Sacred Heart, and started telling off the Principle, Mom was talking half in Italian and half in English, she was so MAD, Since my Brother Nino and Sister Maria were already in Sacred Heart, She asked why her oldest had not been accepted, after all the Times she tried to register me, the Principle said that my Release Time Religious instructor had said that I was a Disruptive Child, and should not be enrolled.

Well my mother said call her in to this office right now, and let her tell me what she means by saying this about my Son, The moment I had feared had come, my Arch Nemesis Sister Annjosepha, was coming down the Hall to Confront me once more, how could my Mother Withstand those Glairing EYES.  Well my Mother was facing the Desk with her back to the door, I saw Sister Annjosepha standing in the door way, making hand gestures behind my Mothers back to the Principle telling her that I was a BAD Child in Sister Sign Language, without Skipping a beat, and not even turning to acknowledge her my MOM said really loud, Sister it is very impolite to talk behind a persons back when they are in the SAME ROOM THAT YOU ARE!

Sister Annjosepha was shocked that she had been caught, my mother turned and said now remember Sister your vow to God and to the Church, and tell the Truth about my Son, or my Husband will come to visit you again and carry out his promise to you, and I also need to tell you that I was a Teacher in Italy at a Convent School for Orphans, and I know if my Son's and Daughter are good or not, you have 2 of them here and if you do not accept Vito, than I will take them out of this School Today.

Well, I started the next Monday!

More to Come!

#1013 2010-10-01 09:49:33

Mike The Duck

What a great tale. Tell us some more!

Mike

#1014 2010-10-01 12:16:35

Olivia

Vito--what a great story, especially about Sr. Ann Josepha. I graduated from SH in 1956 & was never in her class. However, both of my brothers had the bad luck to be taught by her & our parents were not as understanding as your Mom. I went to a SH reunion about 15 years ago & my brothers gave me messages for Ann Josepha that would ban me from the board, so I can't print them. Anyway, I'm about 18 years older than you, but I was raised around the corner from where you lived. Our house was 114-01 211St. It was (still is) on the corner where 211th, Murdock & Colfax all come together. When we moved there in 1947, it was St Albans & I went to PS136. St Paschals said we lived too far East to be in their parish & SH school was in the process of being built. Later, the streets from 209th & east became part of the CH post office & we became Cambria Heights. We were also told, like you, that we lived in St Albans or Queens Village. The school was completed about 1950 & I entered in the 3rd grade. I wound up going to HS @ AJHS because I told my parents I would never go to a school where nuns taught again. I can't wait to tell my brothers about Ann Josepha & your Mom. Your memories are great. Keep them coming

#1015 2010-10-02 12:03:33

COJAC

Sacred Heart is having a reunion on Oct. 9 and I will be attending Vito. And guess who's going to be there!!!!!! Sister Ann Joespher. She just celebrated 50 years of being a nun.There are also 10 other nuns attending and also Father Mac, who is now married to a former nun.
Go to Facebook and put in Sacred Heart Reunion 2010 (Multi Class ) under groups and take a stroll down memory lane.

#1016 2010-10-02 12:48:34

Mike The Duck

I'll be there, too, guys. I'm looking forward to it and so is my mom.

Mike

#1017 2010-10-07 09:30:30

Olivia

Have a good time @ the reunion, all who are going

#1018 2010-10-08 11:43:41

Timbo

Hi everyone. It's been awhile. I thought this Photo may bring back some memories. Copy link and paste it to internet explorer.  (Joe the ice cream man)

64432_160213633996942_100000249181938_425273_6190577_n.jpg

#1019 2010-10-08 15:09:50

Timbo

If anyone is having trouble uploading this Photo. Give me your e-mail and I will send it to you. Can not seem to upload pictures to this Blog. Tried (img tag) ?????

#1020 2010-10-10 10:48:34

lorie922

The all-year reunion of Sacred Heart was held last night!! It was great seeing so many people there and also to be in the school after so many years (I was class of '66).  Father McVernon was there as well as Sr. Ann Josepha, Sr. Maria Coeli, Sr. Bernadette Claire, Sr. Marjorie James, and Sr. Joan Bridget.  There were one or two other nuns who were there but they came to SH after I left.  Another former classmate of mine and I are trying to contact as many members of our class as possible for a proposed reunion in 2012 when we will be turning 60!!!!  There was a previous reunion in 2002 when we turned 50, which of course we thought was old at the time! 

Lorie Henry Reid
Class of '66
(lived at 120-46 226th Street)

#1021 2010-10-13 15:56:48

Timbo

Lorie, did you get that Picture I sent you?

#1022 2010-10-14 09:21:50

Mike The Duck

[quote=lorie922]The all-year reunion of Sacred Heart was held last night!! It was great seeing so many people there and also to be in the school after so many years (I was class of '66).  Father McVernon was there as well as Sr. Ann Josepha, Sr. Maria Coeli, Sr. Bernadette Claire, Sr. Marjorie James, and Sr. Joan Bridget.  There were one or two other nuns who were there but they came to SH after I left.  Another former classmate of mine and I are trying to contact as many members of our class as possible for a proposed reunion in 2012 when we will be turning 60!!!!  There was a previous reunion in 2002 when we turned 50, which of course we thought was old at the time! 

Lorie Henry Reid
Class of '66
(lived at 120-46 226th Street)[/quote]
Yep, it was a great reunion and we must applaud Toni and Betty for doing all the hard work to make it a reality. It was a truly wonderful night! I hear there will be another one next year. I'm already on my way....

Mike
Class of '69

#1023 2010-10-15 07:05:06

Toni

I'm starting on the next reunion which will be on October 8th, 2011......we had a great turnout for this last one , almost 200 people, and we're hoping for this one to be even bigger and better....go to facebook page called "Sacred Heart/Cambria Heights 2011 Multi Class Reunion" if you want to attend

#1024 2010-10-15 08:37:19

Timbo

Hi Toni, Did you take lots of Pictures at the Reunion? If so I'd would like to check them out. I'am going to try and make it to the next Reunion. I also sent the date to my Bother (Danny) and Sister (Theresa). Later

#1025 2010-10-17 11:07:56

TGHD

Some of our memories of Cambria Heights:
Who can forget…
•    The caged Ferris type wheel that would drive down the block and the driver would solicit the children to take a ride, and how we would then, beg our parents to let us go on… Keep in mind 10 cents was good money back then.   
•    The Good Humor and Bungalow Bar competitive fight… Bad words were exchanged such as “Bungalow Bar tastes like tar the more you eat it the sicker you are.��  Mr. Softy seemed to love the rivalry… If you did not buy from one of them, there was always Carvel.
•    The Strawberry man… Remember him yelling… Straaaawwwberrieees as he drove his truck down the block.
•    During election time, you would hear loud speakers on top of cars, advertising for their candidate. 
•    The great Dugan pastry delivery man and I can always remember he smelled like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. He would come to your house and describe all the mouth watering fresh products he would have for the day… What a salesman!!!
•    The Milk Man delivering your milk in the summer… I don’t think there was ever such a thing as a good smelling milk box. We all remember forgetting to take the milk out of the box after three days of 90+ degree temperature. 
•    The nuclear scare and the sudden demand for bomb shelters…. We had one!!
•    The good, old Sunrise Drive in…. Not exactly in Cambria Heights, but that is where we all went when we wanted to go to a drive-in
•    The 227 street on 120th Ave.pool of water after the rain... It was called Wolf’s pond. 
•    Stick ball and stoop ball with our pensy- pinkys. 
•    The summer with lightning bugs.

Some of our memories of Sacred Heart:
Who can forget…
•    The cool feeling of walking down the halls with the sound of taps coming from your shoes
•    Walking down the hall and seeing a student outside the classroom standing in the hallway. You know that he or she did something wrong…. That was me, and every nun who walked by would ask me what I did… and then they took a piece of me
•    In the small schoolyard we would be entertained by Bruce and team with some great harmonizing / songs
•    The “Pit��  in the Big School yard, a place you did not want to go… Let’s just say it always seemed to be raining down there
•    Before school started and also when lunch was over the power of the bell.  When the Sister would ring that Golden Weapon it would automatically make everyone stop in their place and then with another clang, everyone would become mobile again and form a line
•    How good could a Hot Lunch be for $1.50 per week
•    That the kids in Hot Lunch sat down, and those in Cold Lunch stood up 
•    We loved Wednesdays because it was a half of day….. This is when those public school kids learned how to be Catholic
•    How we waited for Joe the pretzel man with the assistance of the nuns to make a decision on which class would get the left over pretzels.
•    The Honor, the prestige, the machismo of finally being able to be a patrol boy…. Carrying that silver badge, pinned on to the white belt.  Unfortunately, many of us used it as a weapon to intimidate people.

Tom & Joe Giacopelli

Last edited by TGHD (2010-10-17 17:38:31)

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu