Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#51 2007-03-15 12:28:36

_lenorazee@yahoo.com

Re: cambria heights, Queens

MIKE L.

HI . MIKE L. I AM LENORA MANNINO ZEE THE WIFE OF JAMES ZEE WE LIVE IN HICKSVILLE LI.WE MOVED OUT OF CAMBRIA HEIGHTS IN 1985

#52 2007-03-23 16:36:24

_204forevermore

AJ High School

All I can say is, "WOW!!!"  Coming across this site on the internet was quite unexpected.

I too attended AJH (1971-73) for my freshman through junior years.  I moved to Washington, DC for the last 8 months of high school.

I lived at 118-45 204th Street, between 118th & 119th Avenues.  When my family moved there in 1963, we were the first black family on the block.  Our next door neighbors were the named Lucas.  They owned a dry cleaning shop on Farmers Blvd.  In less than 10 years after we moved in it seemed like all of the white people were gone...except the Lucas'.  They loved their home and were determined to stay regardless of who else moved into the neighborhood.  Mr Lucas had a train set up on a platform that filled his entire basement.  He used to always have the neighborhood kids over to see all of his different trains.  By 1960s standards that was very cool.

By the time I was old enough to be aware of it, most of the friction in the area was not between blacks and whites.  Probably because there weren't many white folks left.  There was a significant West Indian/Haitian population moving into the Queens Village area, and there were definite problems between the American blacks and West Indian blacks.  Of course, at that time, there was the rise of the street gangs (Seven Crowns, Black Spades, Ace of Spades, Savage Skulls, Etc.). Somehow I managed to steer clear of that scene.

For me, the time spent living in on 204th Street are filled with very fond memories, even after the neighborhood became the "hood."

I remember:
   -- Associated Supermarket on Linden Boulevard.
   -- Cambria Park (at least that's what we called it.  I think someone else referred to it as Colin Field.)There was this guy who lived right beside the park who we called "Zit Back" who played basketball with us and was probably the last white guy left in the neighborhood.
   -- Gouz Dairy in Elmont.  When we first moved to 204th Street they used to deliver milk right to the doorstep.
   -- Carvels just across the city line on Linden.
   -- The Lumber Yard at Linden and Springfield Blvd...I loved the smell of that place.
   -- Someone mentioned the Cherry Woods.  They were located between Nashville Blvd. on the northeast and Springfield Blvd. on the southwest.  My friends and I played in the Cherry Woods and then in the foundations of the houses as they were being built.
   -- In 1971, there were only a handful of white students still enrolled at Jackson.  We had security guards inside of the building and a uniformed police officer walking the beat outside.  The police officer was named Officer King.  My grandmother used to take care of his grand daughter and he would pick her up from our house in the evenings.  Needless to say, I never wanted to get caught being bad by Officer King.  That news would go straight to my grandmother's ears.

People have mentioned a number of famous AJH graduates, but no one mentioned Bob Cousy.  His name was on a plaque outside of the gym.

I could go on and on (I guess I already have.)...but just a few more things.

-- The deli across the street from AJH on Francis Lewis...great ham salad sandwiches
   -- The Cambria Theater...up until nearly 1970 they still had Saturday afternoon double features.
   -- The Jack-In-The-Box at Linden and Francis Lewis...it got burned down during a gang fight sometime around 1975.
   -- The Conduits along the expressway where people used to drag race.
   -- Cardinal Lanes & White Castle on Hillside Ave.

Okay.  I give up.  This is making me feel just a bit old and a tad nostalgic.

#53 2007-04-08 23:45:05

_cmillius

cambria heights

It is interesting the last few entries. I lived in Cambria Heights till 1963. We moved because my parents got divorced. My Mother and I moved to Jamaica. We moved my mother out in 1990 because Jamaica got so bad . She was mugged 3 times. I guess all sections go through changes as new groups move in. I'm glad to hear that Cambria Heights is making a come back. It was sad to see how things had deteriated the last time I was there. Incedently, I now live in a section of Denver, Colorado that had witnessed the same racial changes back in the 70's. But, things turned out differently. When "white flight" began, the local churches stopped the exodus   by speaking out against the fear, prejudice and block busting Realtors and started welcoming parties. When a black family moved on the block the other white neighbors welcomed them. This stopped the flight and Park Hill became one of the largest stabelly integrated communities in the U.S. It's a shame Cambria Heights couldn't go that way.

#54 2007-04-10 21:19:41

_gregmadsen

We don't forget either

All the Rev. Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have to do is dialog with the babyboomers who grew up in neighborhoods like Cambria Heights, Laurelton,Jamaica and Queens Village etc. and admit that the young blacks of those days made our lives miserable.
Well those white babyboomers are now 50-65 years old and do not forget.
How many times was there racial abuse by blacks on the Q4 bus and others.
I think we could go on and on.
Blacks do not want to forget how they were treated in the 1800's. Well we don't forget how we were treated 50 years ago.

Bill O'Reilly where are you , you were there!!!!

#55 2007-04-24 00:59:18

_steve

cambria heights

Can we get back to some pleasant memories. The changes that occured suck. Let's get over it.

#56 2007-05-10 08:53:55

_lhendelson@aol.com

Cambria Heights

Unbeleivable memories. Name was Howard Hendelson, changed to my middle name Lee Hendelson 30 years ago. Grew up in Cambria Heights 115-02 229th St. P.S. 147, P.S. 192, Andrew Jackson. I remember Dr. Fine smoked cigaretts in his office. Remember Dr. Seaman(Dentist)and all the stores, etc. mentioned in other postings. In touch with Bruce Friedberg and Howard Fisher and Howard Fox(Queens Village). Anyone know about Victor Russo or Howard Singer or Richie Ballard. Lucy, Lucille and Patricia also lived on our street. Have Lived in West Palm Beach Fl. since 1976.

#57 2007-05-10 15:44:12

_jaykreisberg

Cambria/147/192/AJHS/CHJC

OK, I guess it's my turn down memory lane. Dr. Fine's
booming/echoing voice scared the shit out of me. At the
mere mention of his name, I seemed to get better. His
office had an odor that came from cauterizing everyone's
warts.  As for Dr. Seaman, just once I would have liked
him to be on the oher side of that drill. Alan Spector's
mom, Renee, worked there. I remember Officer Joe
Bolton's visit to Cambria. (Btw, Chuck McCann was AJHS's
other famous alum after Cousy). It was Ralph's Barber
Shop with his red fire engine chair on 228th Street/
Linden...next to Schiller's butcher shop. Steven B:
condolences on the recent passing of your mom, your
nephew Nathan's passing and your 1st cousin Paul's
recent passing. Only good things for you going forward.
I'm in touch with Norman Greenberg, Paul Millman, Joel
Lipsky, Malcolm Kushner, Phil Mouzon. I remember
Howard Singer and his cohort in crime Louis Nagy. Is there
anyone of us who Cantor Freedman did not refer to as
being a hoodIum? I remember Walcliff's and I still have the
roller rink burns to prove it. How can you mention
Walcliff's and not mention Great Eastern Mills? Who
remembers Wetson's in Valley Stream and the bug
zappers? Mr Yurasits was the best teacher at AJHS and
Mrs. Somers the worst at 192. I had a crush on Mrs.
Eisner, my second grade teacher at 147. That was nothing
compared to the hots I had for Mallory Gordon of
Laurelton. I remember just about everyone from the class
of '71. One burning question: Are Steve Errante and Nancy
Esposito still dating?

#58 2007-05-11 01:19:09

_cmillius

cambria heights

Is Sacred Heart School still there? AJHS is now some sort of magnet school. Is the Jewish Center still there?

#59 2007-05-11 10:51:58

_jayk

SH, Magnet, CHJC

Don't know
Yes it is
No it's not. It converted. It's now a church.

#60 2007-05-11 15:26:59

_cambriaboy

Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart School my alma mater is there and open as is The Church to mostly Haitian parishoners and students.
Stopped by there 2 years ago and was told that people from the 60's come by all the time to visit

#61 2007-05-17 13:33:30

_joed

Cambria Heights, Queens

Wow! I just happend on this page during a slow day at work. I was born in CH in 1954 and moved to NJ in 1967. I lived at 117-48 225 st. I attended kindergarten at ps 176 and grades 1-7 at Sacred Heart. I remeber the Deli on 225th and Linden. I rember A-Z hardware, the LI press paper pickup, Levy's chocolate Italian ice, and G & S drugs. I played Cambria Heights LL for 6 years. Besides Colden ( I thought it was Colin ) field, we used to play at a place called The Cage right off a parkway. Cross Island or Belt, I don't remember which. We used to go to the Carvel near the Elmont line after games. I remember taking the Q-4 to Jamaica to go shopping with my mom, and paying 48 cents to see a movie at the Cambria Theater. For a real treat we would get taken to the Loews Valencia theater which had a fountain in the lobby with giant goldfish. Anybody remember Joe the ice cream man, who used to sell pretzels for 7 cents at Sacred Heart at lunchtime ? I used to walk home from Sacred Heart for lunch with my friends Tom Mc Carthy and Joe Moran. We would stop at Sam's candy store at 223 & Linden on the way back. We used to go roller skating at Walcliff but didn't we used to swim there in the summer ? I seem to recall a big pool on the roof. I specifically remember an earleir poster, Tom Dolan, who lived in the apartments on 225 & Linden. His mom used to drive a Chevy Nova which she used to park on 225 st. Wow. I need to eat lunch and concentrate on work now, but I will keep checking back for replies and will post more memories when time and memory allow. Joe D. from Boca

#62 2007-05-18 10:59:42

_lhendelson@aol.com

Cambria Heights

Joe D. from Boca wouldn't happen to be Joe DiSalvo, would it?

#63 2007-05-18 10:59:43

_lhendelson@aol.com

Cambria Heights

Joe D. from Boca wouldn't happen to be Joe DiSalvo, would it?

#64 2007-05-23 23:16:52

_gem

cambria heights

It was great to read peoples memories.  I lived in Cambria
Heights from 1953 thru 1969.  I loved being able to walk all
over from the Little Italian Deli back close to the Parkway,
down to the Associated on Springfield, and then up to the
movies on Linden Blvd. I went to Sacred Heart but got to play
with all my neighbors  , those mult-cultural stick ball games
on Murdoch Ave. I wish I could have gone to Andrew Jackson
instead of traveling 3 hours a day to Astoria to attend a
catholic high school.   Friday Night Confreternity
Dances.....Memories... Thanks

#65 2007-05-24 20:57:15

_mikes

Great Place to grow up

Great Stuff...what a great neighborhood in the late 50's-60's.
Newcome's, Joe the Ice Cream Man, John's Deli, Colen Field, those great gin mills on the corners that we were all too young to go in to.
We have the memories

#66 2007-05-24 20:57:48

_mikes

Great Place to grow up

Great Stuff...what a great neighborhood in the late 50's-60's.
Newcome's, Joe the Ice Cream Man, John's Deli, Colen Field, those great gin mills on the corners that we were all too young to go in to.
We have the memories

#67 2007-06-02 23:44:18

_cmillius

cambria heights

The only bar I can remember was the Linden Tavern on 227th and Linden.Down thw street from my home. There was one also across from Levy's Sweet shoppe. What were the others?

#68 2007-06-13 07:45:17

_joe

rockway beach

Put on a lot of miles hitch hikeing to 35ST  beach rockway.

#69 2007-06-14 10:26:30

_northportchief

Twin Ponds

I believe Twin Ponds (obviously viewed through our youthful eyes) were the low lying areas on the east side of the Belt Pky near the Merrick exit.

#70 2007-06-16 21:28:32

_ruthl.

Cambria Heights

Jay K., do you have a sister, Ronnie?  I was good friends with a Ronnie Kreisberg - would love to know if there's a connection.  And how about the donut shop on Linden Blvd.?  I love that Joe the ice cream man is a memory for other people...do you remember the charms he gave out along the ice-cream?  And does any one remember the horse that you could ride on Saturday mornings for $.10? And the shoe repair lady who would pick up your shoes if the sign was in the window......and the knife sharpening truck that drove through the streets ringing a bell to announce its presence?  That's all for now.

#71 2007-06-16 23:37:38

_cmillius

cambria heights

In addition to Joe the ice cream guy. Remember Bungalow Bar and Good Humor?

#72 2007-06-25 06:38:40

_jlavalle

Fond Memories

To JMillius.....I've read some of your posts
and I used to live down the street from
you....since 1939 .....at 118-16 227th St.
but left a long time ago....1955 to move to
Boston area with my parents.  These
discussions really bring back memories
of long ago.  I probably walked by your
house on my way to school, then work.  I
had a summer job during highschool on
Linden Blvd. and 227th St.  It was an
aluminum door and window company
(remember "Jalousie Windows"?  There
was also a bar at the corner.  My husband
and I now spend our time as snowbirds
in Florida when we aren't in
Massachusetts for the summers/fall.

#73 2007-06-26 19:52:14

_joe

Izzies

Any one remember Izzies candy store on linden and springfield blvd next to gas station ?

#74 2007-07-12 20:40:53

_cmillius

cambria heights

I don't remember Izzies,  But I do remember Kaplan's on Linden Blvd and 227th st.

#75 2007-07-14 13:30:30

_chguy

Newcomes

Newcome's on 220th and Linden was my Heaven

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu