Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2002-10-15 10:39:00

_jamesd.harris

DeLancey Family of NYC

Greetings:
I would really appreciate anyone's assistance in solving a historical mystery that has vexed my family for at least four generations.

But first, please allow me the liberty of properly introducing myself. My name is James DeLancey Harris, I'm a native New Yorker (born and raised on the fringes of Washington Square Park), and now make my home in Nova Scotia, Canada. For the last nine months or so, I have been engaged in serious genealogical research, successfully tracing the DeLancey branch of my family tree back eleven generations. It is my greatest hope that someone on this message board might be able to provide me with the name of the only individual in my line of direct descendants which continues to elude me.       

In order to provide the proper context, I am a direct descendant of Etienne DeLancey (1663-1741), his son Lt. Gov. of New York, James DeLancey (1703-1760), and his son Capt. James DeLancey (1732-1800). The latter, Capt. James DeLancey, had three children by a morganatic marriage (c.1764) before his spouse died in 1770. Capt. James then married Margaret Allen on August 19, 1771, at Shrewsbury, New Jersey. One of the three children of Capt. James DeLancey and his first wife was a Mary DeLancey (b. 1769, in NYC), who would be my great, great, great, great grandmother. In 1783, Mary DeLancey was part of the Loyalist exodus to Nova Scotia with her fathers' cousin, Col. James DeLancey (known as "The Outlaw of the Bronx"), and later married a Capt. John Harris in Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia, on June 22, 1790.

I have been trying to ascertain the identity of Capt. James DeLancey's first wife who died in New York City in the year 1770. I have searched far and wide, high and low, for some clue as to what her name (and her story) might be -- sadly without any substantive result.

Here is what I have gleaned thusfar: (1) Captain James' first child, John DeLancey, was born on July 10, 1765 [his second son, James, was born in 1767, and his daughter, Mary, was born in 1769]; (2) it seems reasonable to speculate that James' first marriage may have taken place sometime in 1763-4, although I have yet to find a record; (3) James' second wife, Margaret Allen, the daughter of Pennsylvania Chief Justice William Allen, insisted that the three children from James' first marriage be banished from their home on Bowery Lane in 1771; (4) the three children [then aged six, four, and two, respectively] went to live with their DeLancey cousins at West Farms, in the Bronx.           

It is my greatest hope that some kind soul on this message board will know more about the DeLancey's than I, and guide me in the proper direction. 

James DeLancey Harris

#2 2003-03-12 21:36:00

_georgehollister

Re: DeLancey Family of NYC

Florence A. DeLancey

My great grandfather's  name was James
DeLancey Hollister.  His mother's name
was Florence A, DeLancey.  His Father's
name was Hiron Hollister.  Hiron and
Florence were married in Sadelia,
Missouri sometime in the mid 1850's.  I
am sorry I can't help you but can you help
me with Florence?

#3 2003-04-01 11:21:00

_delbasenji@aol.com

Etienne deLancey

Mr. Harris-my name is Adele-Marie Steele.  My mother was a deLancey.  We are direct to Etienne, but we stray off your line,right away.  We are direct to James brother Peter.
Then his son Oliver, then William Arnold deLancey, then WashingtonGrey deLancey, then my grandfather Lorillard deLancey 1, then my mothe Grace Adele.  In my search I promise you, if I can find any;thing about yours, I sure will contact you.

#4 2003-04-01 11:21:00

_delbasenji@aol.com

Etienne deLancey

Mr. Harris-my name is Adele-Marie Steele.  My mother was a deLancey.  We are direct to Etienne, but we stray off your line,right away.  We are direct to James brother Peter.
Then his son Oliver, then William Arnold deLancey, then WashingtonGrey deLancey, then my grandfather Lorillard deLancey 1, then my mothe Grace Adele.  In my search I promise you, if I can find any;thing about yours, I sure will contact you.

#5 2003-09-13 01:50:00

_delanceydirect

I may be who u are looking for

Our Family is from Anapolis County, Liverpool, and Kentville. We were the direct decendents that you may be trying to find.

Check out our website www.delanceydirect.com

Our e-mail can be found there.

Cheers!

#6 2003-12-07 18:50:38

_kristendelancey

wow man

hi i am kristen delancey and i live in missouri....yea well i am doin a project for school and i have to find out who my distant family is...and this is amazing...my grandfather was bill delancey and, my grandpa had 5 older sisters, and his mother died when he was very young...please email me at kristendelancey@hotmail.com

#7 2004-04-05 23:49:41

_delanceyr.ober,jr

DeLancey Genealogy

Dear Mr. Harris,

I am also a direct descendant of Etienne DeLancey, but through John Peter DeLancey to Bishop William Heathcote DeLancey to Margaret Munro DeLancey to Dr. DeLancey Rochester to Margaret DeLancey Rochester to DeLancey Rochester Ober, my deceased father.  In 1994, I visited the DeLancey burial ground near Tupperville, N.S., and the O'Dell Museum in Annapolis Royal.  At the latter, a John Kirby mentioned that he had become interested in James DeLancey through George DeLancey "Del" Harris, a avid genealogist who summered in the area.  Mr. Kirby guessed Del Harris was in his late sixities.  I assume this was a close relative or yours?

At any rate, I inherited a genealogical book entitled "The deLanceys - A Romance of a Great Family" by D. A. Story, published in 1931 by Thomas Nelson & Sons.  Although it does not give Mary's last name, it does provide some interesting comments:

"...[James deLancey] had been morganatically married to, what tradition says, was a beautiful and accomplished woman of a slightly lower social grade, a connection of the Livingston family, who died in 1770, but whose complete name is not yet revealed.  Her Christian name was Mary, and what are supposed to be miniatures of her and her father, painted by one of the most celebrated artists of the day, the former in 1763, and set in rubies, and the latter in 1766 and set in diamonds, are still in the possession of one of her descendants in the island of Guernsey..."

The passage goes on to name their three children and then refers to how Margaret Allen deLancey spurned these children, but other family members treated them well.  It further refers to the move to Nova Scotia and also includes 2+ pages discussing how marriage outside of one's "social conditions" were viewed/treated historically.

If you do not have a copy of this book or do not have access to one, I'd be happy to copy the pages referred to above.  I'm sorry it doesn't give you the complete answers you are looking for, but it does provide a few interesting glimpses you may not have run across before.

Please feel free to call me (518-399-4690) or e-mail me (dober@nycap.rr.com) if you would like me to send you a copy of the relevant passage.

Regards,

Rocky Ober
(DeLancey Rochester Ober, Jr.)

#8 2006-02-18 14:35:58

_davidgeorgedelance

Art History Economics DeLancey-History

David_DeLancey@yahoo.com History is intreeging especially when the interest govern's it-self till the moment the research begins whow how special some matter's are even as a child what wood it be like as a president then mid age score on your family heratage a pleasure got to go.

#9 2006-06-28 13:54:07

_davidgeorgedelancey.

Art Economics History

Hello out there I'm David George Delancey i may have not recognized my roots though have a lot of knowledge since 5-of-2005 i'm thinking my relation starts with a cemetary in Manomet Massachussettes there are Carpenter's Hoyts Proctor and a lot more my grand fearther and great were to do with Building homes and such the surname Homes is also there if ever in the erea of the mayflower go south on rt 3a to manomet there's a street afterthe town heading on 3a south DeLancey though someone stoled it and now it has the e missing a miisprint i shall try to fix in time,the branch i consist of is possibley from Nova Scotia a Oliver DeLancey my farther and grand farther are Arnold Holbert DeLancey at the early 1600's possibly 1500's late on Cape Cod was Lancey Harbor the De was used in style such as de De Lancy or deLancey the de and e was a variety it seemes through my searching it started as DeLancey first Benjimen may have missed spell the first name through time Benjimen was repeated more then several times and a first part of the bornage was a son named Prudence May have a varing with the name Provedence the tip od cape cod history does'nt tell much about it though if visited there a small book is available the surname Small is in the relation and erea DeLancey was supossed to be Ship Builders the Mayflower aprouched the erea before settlingat Plymouth Bay the ordinance of the Title Plymouth Bay a Granting From England and perhaps the aknowledging of other Country's as well for the format aquired the Habitat of Cape Cod was seasonal though seems the settlement of DeLancey was apropreat, there was amendment's with the ocation there the dealing with habitant's indian and other setterlers note the begining's of security were  of a military or just a security within themself's and the knowing of other Governed erea's along the sea-shore more study continues 1:46P.M. David George DeLancey o and what female resided at nova scotia while husband was a governor of the bahmas or bermuda got those two mixed up i read it through a history piece 2005 this was the century of the 17or1800's sorry about that i do have the print out in my files also how about a miss DeLancey Corresponding to letters with George Washington did you know Washington is from erea england a peice of land called wesyngton issued to a heartburn though Heartburn had to use the name weyington for the allowence of it possibly in the doomsday book?. ok Till Next Time.

#10 2006-09-16 21:26:49

_davidgeorgedelance

Art Economics History

Been doing more research of DeLancey. Stephen i've learned had the equaty of suplying Ships and captain Kidd may just have launched one being he got a pirates format from the king of England and off to New York he went , It seems he also stayed at a large or the biggest white house on a street up from wall st this just may be pearl st a store of some sort on wall street where there was a establishing of gentry even as a store of resturant of some sort or coffee house , this is late 1600's this place is to have created the Stock Exchange,kidd was hung for pludering a large vessel one larger then the others or most that were captured by a british congestion, Stephen DeLancey is of great power here he is amongst the counci for 20 something years though the merchantile that suplemented the economy for the periods is of curiosity as somewhat at the begining there seems to be not much spoke of certain gentry of council to my recognition this quiet though thorough task is of great sercomstance paying great attention to a colony country proportierorship and other affairs is in difference within people some may congest it as ease as others may get ease and cerculate it this type of plunder is a stretch of news though may be of course though may be of challenge and as well a curiocity towards the considering and back and forth it goes the one important thing is relation to ones self asurance as of friendship loyalty meaning a crown or some form of goverment before thee and ofcourse family especialy when in consideration of learning as the cultured see culture remaining the apreciation of self assurence is a standard of equaty 9:26 P.M. 9-16-2006

#11 2006-10-02 21:15:16

_jrbarberie

DeLancey

I hope I am not too late to make contact. I am a DeLancey descendant. Etienne DeLancey was the brother of ? DeLancey who married Jean Barberie in France. The brother-in-laws were business partners in NYC. I would like to share any information that you might have of their various relationships. I find it interesting that you live in Nova Scotia. A true loyalist?
John R. Barberie

#12 2006-10-06 12:53:54

_cindy

DeLancey's in Mississippi

I'm looking for the father of George W. DeLancey.George was born in 1865, Died in Bunkerhill,Ms. in 1907. George was married to Florence Elizabeth Bryant in 1887. One of thier
children is my grandfather Gaston Charles DeLancey.

#13 2006-11-29 17:15:28

_davidgeorgedelancey

Art Economics History

11-29-2006 5:05 P.M.E.S.T. Shrewsberry Massachusetts Library,   Wow their's possibly some relation of Stephen DeLancey born Caen France Late 1600's that's interesting would more information be available on that,i know about his grand farther and farther who's names are Jacques and Stephen's great great as king charles the first, ok their's stephen's brother's wife's name this is from post 10-2-2006 8:15p.m. or are you looking for this information of the brother's name, I'm about over 50% that i may find the information Jean Barberie there's some print out's i have about france's birth's and such other names , i think for now it was located through family de leon or something , sorry and i may be starting a new job trucking so it may take a bit of time , till next time O their is a Charle's Ambroise DeLancey senoir and a Charles Ambroise DeLancey peir 1500's france from  de leon family chart   5:18p.m.e.s.t.         HAPPY HOLIDAYS   Thanks James DeLancey Harris i found the Harris Family very interesting and still researching parden me for some of the spelling check me on wikipedia D.G.DeL-Dorchester Mass.5:21P.M.E.S.T.

#14 2006-12-16 20:56:35

_davidgeorgedelancey

Art Economics History DeLancey History Files

8:51p.m.e.s.t.  There is information of New York Mostly old stuff though about DeLancey Member's there is info as well here at top wright is Question's and Answer's while on it go to the same titleing as my post show there is some neglegence in spelling and perhaps  my expressing could get a little better enjoy 8:56p.m.

#15 2007-03-12 14:20:46

_j.arnolddelancey

Who's connected?

Direct descendant of Colonel James, of Uniacke Boyle DeLancey, grandfather.
Contact - ArnoldFirst@gmail.com
Location - 23 Athlone Avenue Moncton, NB Canada E1E 1S1 - Phone 506-389-8035.
Date of- March 12, 2007.

#16 2007-06-04 18:55:06

_sharonconner

Susannah Delancey

I am attempting to discover my ancestry.  I am told I am descended from Susannah Delancey and Sir Peter Warren.  I am told we have relatives in NYC and in Massachusetts.  As of March 1948 the only information I have is that I have a great uncle James in NY and a great uncle Charles in Massachusetts.  I have nothing more recent.  I am told that my grandfather came through Canada to the U.S. and ended up in Missouri where he met my grandmother.  Thank you for any help.

#17 2007-06-04 23:44:30

_sharonconner

Susannah Delancey 2

I wrote earlier today, but neglected to say that my grandfather was George Conner who had the brothers James from NY and Charles from Massachusetts.  Thank you.

#18 2011-03-13 16:19:56

David George DeLancey

3-13-2011 5:16 p.m. e.s.t. WWW.AncientlyDeLancey.Com This site is established by David George DeLancey. ~Uniacke Boyle DeLancey is here with his descendants, this information comes form The DeLancey's "A Romance from a Great Family"

#19 2011-03-14 23:49:31

DaveGardner
Website

And it's interesting that today, on the LES, we have the intersection of Allen and DeLancey (altho, Allen st was named for somebody else)

#20 2011-06-19 23:26:17

genemonkey

I'm not sure how far you've come in the 9 years since you posted this.  I am in Central Australia and have always been told by my grandparents that we were related to the de Lancey's who the street in NYC was named after.  I have been researching my family tree for several years now and have yet to come across any connection to any de Lancey's,.  I believe it is associated with another branch of my family who I was told were named de Laundons.  The de Laundons as far as I have got back so far are only known as Laundon in Leicestershire UK (mid 1700's so far).  The story was that one of my great grandmothers was a Mary de Lancey.  I have assumed that both the de Lanceys and my de Laundon connections must be much further back in France.  Are there web sites that might have more details on the de Lancey genealogy back into France?  Could my mystery Mary be your missing Mary?  My Mary could however be just a family story, I know that and that this could be absolutely nothing, but you never know!  Has any DNA research been undertaken for this family?  I have recently tested in Family Tree DNA family finder test.  If there are others out there with known lineage who have also tested it would be great to compare results.

#21 2011-06-23 13:51:16

jdelancey

genemonkey -- Any chance you have a Hudson in your line?  I have been researching a branch from the Guernsey DeLancey family (John of Guernsey -- the son of James -- the son of James the LT Gov of the Colony of NY -- the son of Etienne who founded the family in America).   John married Caroline Carey of Guernsey -- they had a large family including a son, Oliver.  Oliver went into the British Army -- like his father -- and was killed at San Sebastian, Spain.  Prior to leaving for Spain, Oliver had a daughter -- Caroline -- who was brought up by the Gerrards -- wine merchants in Bristol.  She married Thomas Hudson -- and was left a widow at a young age with a large family.  2 of her sons migrated to Australia.

#22 2011-06-30 06:29:05

genemonkey

Sorry, no Hudsons as far as I know.  My Irish side came to Australia between 1830-1842 and the English side post 1910.  The connection is supposedly on my English side, they go back to Welsh and French one side and English and Irish the other, so they say!!  There is some thought of a Channel Islands or St Helena connection, but nothing I have been able to verify so far.

Veronica

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu