Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2004-11-07 00:24:47

_wendy

where was the French Hospital?

I was born in August in 1953 at The French Hospital.  I was put up for adoption at the Talbot Perkins Adoption Agency.   Both services are gone.   Where was The French Hospital located?

#2 2004-11-09 21:01:13

_gat

Re: where was the French Hospital?

xyz

This question has been asked before.  About a year or so ago, someone replied "I was born at the French Hospital in October of 1943. I have a hospital birth certificate that shows the address at 329 West 29th Street, New York, NY. A photo on the certificate shows the hospital building. I have no idea what happened to the building."

#3 2004-12-04 08:07:43

_édouard

French hospital

I walked past yesterday a rather grand building with the
name "Société française de bienfaisance" over the main
entrance, now an apartment building with the name
French Apartments, on far west 30th Street (maybe
between 8th and 9th avenues)? I think this may the former
hospital building, but I don't know at all when it may have
been converted into apartments.

#4 2004-12-29 21:43:43

_ken

Talbot Perkins

Up until a few years ago, Talbot Perkins was still in business on West 32nd Street in NYC and was very helpful to me in providing non-identifying bio.  At that time their number was 212-736-2510.

#5 2005-01-16 11:09:17

_matt

Where was the French Hospital

The French Hospital address was
330 West 30th Street according to the original bill I have for my birth. My dad always kept it to remind me I only cost $175.00 for an eight day stay. This is also the hospital that Babe Ruth had provided contributions to for the children's ward and where he passed away.

#6 2005-02-04 22:19:52

_chellie

French Apartments

Yes the old French Hospital is now known as the French Apartments. It's on 29th & 30th btwn 8th & 9th. I think they made it residential in either the 70's or early 80's. It's a rent stabilized building, the apartments are rather small though, i have a friend that lives in there.

#7 2005-03-07 11:01:14

_blancairis

adoption

What can you do if your interested in finding out where Talbot Perkins moved to? If it doesn't exist how would I be able to retrieve my personal information?

#8 2005-04-08 19:42:00

_ken

Talbot Perkins

Non-Identifying info for Talbot Perkins (now closed) can be obtained through Spence Chapin Family Services in New York City.  They now have the records.

#9 2005-05-19 01:56:44

_linda

French Hospital

I actually live at 330 West 30th St. in the building that was previously The French Hospital.. also known as the French Polyclinic. It was changed into apartments in the early 80s.  I was one of the first to move in.. and I have a huge apt.  Most of the apartments in here are larger than other city apartments.. and the best thing is that the walls are hospital thick.. and I can't hear my neighbors.  It is only partially federal section 8, not rent subsidized.

#10 2005-06-23 16:48:35

_spike

The French Hospital

My NYC birth certificate from February 1943 has a lpreprinted ine for Hospital.  Written in by hand is "French Hospital".  I knew it was in the Chelsea area, but did not have a proper address for it until today.  Thank you.

#11 2005-09-03 06:08:57

_cath

French Hosptial

This is so wonderful to find out about the French Hospital.  My birth certificate states that I was born there May 24, 1954. Apparently, the hospital worked with an adoption agency, Talbots?  I have reason to believe I may have been adopted but I am not sure how to go about finding out. 

#12 2005-09-24 12:26:21

_me

French Hospital

So great to find this info on the French Hospital, where I was born in 1967. Anyone know the name of the place where I can find my birth certificate? Thanks!

#13 2005-09-24 12:30:43

_meagain

French Hospital

Sorry... forgot to post an email... If anyone knows the name of the establishment that now keeps birth certificate records for the French Hospital from 1967, please email me at hjhjy@aol.com. Thanks!

#14 2005-09-26 22:01:49

_mona

The French Hospital

I was born in The French Hospital 12/25/1948. I can corroborate some information stated by others.  Babe Ruth was hospitalized in The French Hospital (you can see the entrance and name in the movie The Babe Ruth Story with William Bendix). My birth certificate does have the hospital's picture on it with the address.  I will get it from the safe deposit box and verify what the address was in 1948.  Although, I'm not Catholic, I know it was a Catholic-affiliated hospital run by a French order of nuns. I know the hospital was converted to an apartment house because I drove by it in the 1990's.  I don't know if you still can get a copy of the hospital's birth certificate with the hospital's photo, but you can definitely get a certified photo copy of a birth certificate registered with the City of New YOrk. Although this is the City version, not a copy of the one provided by the hospital.  I have both versions.  The hospital's birth certificate has the baby's name, attending doctor's signature, Mother's thumb print and baby's foot print.

#15 2005-10-19 05:43:28

_kevingallo

French Hospital Records?

Does anyone know where to find the records for the French Hospital?  I'm so glad to finally have an address and some information.  My uncle and I have been trying to research my Great Grandfather's death...we are trying to figure out once and for all if he indeed jumped out of a window at this hospital...or was he thrown out the window?

Apparently in the 1920s and 1930s, people used to check themselves into the hospital to lay low, and we think perhaps my Grandfather was murdered.  Wanted to check the records of the hospital to see if there are any clues.

Anyone with any information regarding the records of the French Hospital, please email me at kjgallo@hotmail.com

Thanks,
kjgallo

p.s. - We also could use info city records from the 1920s and 1930s as my Great Grandfather was either the Port Authority Commissioner or had something to do with Public Works.  Again, I appreciate anything anybody can do to help me.

#16 2006-04-29 19:01:56

_lidiann

FRENCH HOSPITAL

THE HOPITAL IS NOW AN APARTMENT BUILDING THAT I LIVE IN. IT HAS TWO PARTS 330 WEST 30TH AND 329 WEST 29TH STREET BETWEEN 8 AND 9TH AVENUES. IT HAS BEEN AN APARTMENT BUILDING SINCE THE 80'S I'M TRING TO FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS AFTER THE HOSPITAL..ANYONE HAVE ANYINFO

#17 2006-08-14 18:20:02

_lb2chs97

French Hospital

I'm glad I am finally able to find some information about the French Hospital and what happened to it.  A couple of years ago I tried a search but nothing came up.  Must have been before this thread started.  I was born in the French Hospital and also have an original birth certificate with the photo of the hospital and my footprints and my mother's finger print.  This is the address I have on my birth certificate; 329 West 29th Street, New York 1, New York.  I wonder what New York 1 means.

#18 2012-06-30 19:35:51

cannu3

I Have Yet To Find An Answer For Where The Medical Records For French Hospital Are? I Am Looking For Medical Records Of A Birth. I Can Get A Birth Certificate From The Nyc Health Dept, But I Am Wanting The Live Birth Record From The Hospital. My Birth Certificate Does Not List The Information I Am Needing, Specifics. I Know My Birth Name And Mothers Name And Information. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Thanks!

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu