Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#26 2005-12-26 23:45:00

_turk

Re: Street Gangs - late 50's

gangs

Has anyone ever heard of the Sutter Lords in Ozone Park around 1962 or 1963? They used to hang around P.S.63 on Sutter Ave. in Ozone Park.They used to spray paint large crosses on all the handball courts in the neighborhood.

#27 2005-12-28 18:03:11

_robbiedupree

sutter lords

i definately remember the sutter lords. there were many
smaller outfits in that time. sutter ave. ran all the way from
brooklyn out to Ozone Park. it was a route i travelled many
times back then . rd

#28 2006-01-03 02:27:06

_fonce

Halsey bops and bushwick

hirpn....I remembr that night with the throat slashing was it Malone(woo Woo)?????? Irish did you live at any time on or near Grattan? do you have blue/green eyes and were sort of a pretty Tom Boy and hung out with Moby jon and the other girls?

#29 2006-01-03 02:53:31

_fonce

Halsey bops and bushwick

How bout Eddie(Speedo)Martinez?I ran into u at B'way junction u were home from Nam and Anthony (theFrog,Froggy)Sfrega you out there?no guns (before Miranda Law)plenty of knives(the K55)and bats not to mention car antenas and pretty good brawlers some with pugilistc savy some with brute force and some who could charm themselves out of an ass kicking and who could hang out with rivals and with all the races

#30 2006-02-02 23:48:36

_nronconi68@aol.com

Halsey Bops

Hey all, just wanted to know if any of you knew my dad, he was a Halsey Bop and lived in Bushwick (Wilson and Knickerboker I think).  His name is John Ronconi and think they called him Rusty.  He had a brother Manny and sister Theresa.  Let me know, you can email me at nronconi68@aol.com.  Take care.

#31 2006-02-22 15:54:01

_trayniah

WoW

I never knew their were gangs over here. I live on Halsey knickerbocker and wilson all my life(Born 1979).My grandfather lived their before i was born and I have never heard of these gangs.  Wow I learned something new today

Thanks

#32 2006-02-22 15:55:00

_trayniah@hotmail.com

forgot

TO leave e-mail address

#33 2006-05-14 22:22:30

_charlie

halsey street bops

1954-1959 was when the HALSEY STREET BOPS STARTED. Louie& Sal Giglia,Vinny Belviso,Joe Godino,Charlie Salzano(LUMPY),Luke Walters(Mickey),Eddie Blocker,Billy Straiga,Louie Bondi,Sal Ferrari,Joe Perillo,Philly no-nose,these were the names of the men that coined the name,Halsey Bops.
I should know. These men who are in their late 60's now still hang out to this day. They are grandfathers,The ones that are alive. Some have passed. I have photos from then of them hanging out in the park,by the park house. My dad was one of the original Halsey Bops,I called all the others uncle growing up.

#34 2006-05-18 21:05:34

_georgiefehr

Halsey Bops

Charlie,
Your dates must be wrong. I was a Halsey Bop and I hung out in Halsey Park from 1957-1962. Your father must be 2 generations before me, since i knew every H.B. but I did not know any of the names you mentioned. I am 62,and some of the names before me were: Georgie Baldwin, Bobby Wilcox,Benny C., Jackie Moore, Whitey Kenney, Tony DeFeo, Larry Farrell, Andy Cavanah, Bobby Greene,Jackie Leavens and many moore. They were 3-5 years older than me but we all hung together. I lived on Halsey & Wilson Ave. We hung out in that park house and played dice against the wall. We also hung out in Putnam Park and many Ellery Bops started to hang with us: Angelo LaGrecca, Billy Cross & many more. Buffalino(Buffy) from Fulton & Rockaway also hung with us. I find your message interesting because I recently made contact with a # of Halsey Bops that I hung with back in 50's & early 60's. How does your father and his friends communicate and still get together. I went back to the old neighborhood and met a few old girl friends on Freshpond Rd. in Ridgewood. Keep writing I am interested. I now live in central Jersey. My e-mail address is gfehr@brookdalecc.edu

#35 2006-05-27 09:30:14

_bushwickbuddy

Bushwick Buddies Website

Hi all Halsey Bops and Alan Mezzapella

I've read all through the messages on this board and man did it bring back memories.  I was never part of the "Bops", but spent a lot of time at Halsey Park - at the other end - near Irving Square Presbyterian Church and of course at Putnam Park especially on Friday nights at the dances.

I have created website that is called Bushwick Buddies that has been growing for the past 4 years and there are many times when the "Halsey Bops" are brought up.  Alan Mezzapella and several of the guys from Knickerbocker and Halsey are members of our group and we'd enjoy any other of you guys who would like to join us.  Most of us are in our 60's although there are some in their 70's and some in their 30's, 40's, 50's.  We are from all over the Bushwick area and there are 1000's of pictures and stories, old, new and in-between.

If you're interested, please contact me at eleanor1940@bushwickbuddies.com for a personal invitation.  Send your name and e-mail address so I can send you an invitation.  Looking forward to hearing from you, or any other Bushwickite.

Eleanor Phillips Coody
PS 113 Class of 1952
Halsey JHS Class of 1955
Bushwick HS Class of 1958
565 Central Ave

#36 2006-05-27 09:45:38

_bushwickbuddy

Some Bops

Hi George

You mentioned some names in your last post and I just wanted to tell you that some were in my class at both elementary and junior high school - they were Bobby Wilcox (cute little devil) and Jackie Moore (quite a red head) - there is a picture of him at the Bushwick Buddies.  I think somewhere you also mentioned Dennis McCormack.  If that is the McCormack who lived on the corner of Central and Eldert, his brother Patrick is a member of the Bushwick Buddies and Dennis is alive and well and Pat can get you in touch with him.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Eleanor Phillips Coody
eleanor1940@bushwickbuddies.com

#37 2006-06-03 00:20:40

_charlie

HALSEY BOPS

MY FATHER, THE ORIGINAL LEADER OF THE HALSEY BOPS WHO ACTUALLY MADE UP THE NAME IS 69 THIS YEAR. YES THEY STILL GET TOGETHER.THE ONES THAT ARE STILL ALIVE. I HAVE OVER A 100 PHOTOS OF THE ORIGINAL HALSEY BOPS FROM 1953-1957. MY FATHER GOT MARRIED AND LEFT THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND MOVED TO OZONE PARK IN 1959.

#38 2006-06-03 12:42:35

_bushwickbuddy

Halsey Bops

Hi Charlie

We would love to see the pictures of the original Halsey Bops.  I just turned 66 this year so your father's group was already infamous when I was growing up at the other end of the park - lol.  You didn't leave your e-mail though so if you could e-mail me at eleanorctr@aol.com with your full name and e-mail I'd love to invite you and your father to our Bushwick Buddies website.  George Fehr and Fonce have just joined us and there are so many guys from the neighborhood there.  We've all grown sentimental in our old age.  Hope to hear from you soon.

#39 2006-06-12 12:17:50

_liguyvince

Halsey Bops

Wow ,what a time that was. I hung out with the Bops in 61,62,63. I lived on  1411 Jefferson Ave, between Irving anfd Knickerbocker. Went to Halsey Jr High and Bushwick HS. Got out in 63. I remember  Billy Cross, not a nice guy then.Drugs wee runnig rampet in about 63. Some guys died. I thin one of the Zip twins
We hung out in Putnam park mostly.Mousie Martino was the president at that time. Georgie Fehr was the war load I think.

#40 2006-06-12 12:29:43

_liguyvince

Halsey Bops

I forgot, My name is Vic Cosentino. I was big in sports for St. Martins at the time. I loved the St. Martins Ddances.
Most of tyhe guys I hung out with were Mike Fagan, Chippie Mondello, Carlo, Bruce Schmidt, Phillie Bues. I remember the Hamp Bros, Zip twins Georgie, you and Donnie.
In about 62 a lot of guys were into drugs and everyone went to shit. Halsey Tots were getting big I thing. We also went to St. Bridgets dances at that time

#41 2006-06-22 19:50:19

_dave

Ridgewood gangs?

My pop grew up in Ridgewood in the '50s and he remembers running with a gang he refers to as "the Chaplains." I've tried to research them a bit and most of what I've found seems to indicate that the Chaplains were not a Ridgewood gang. (I've also read that the Chaplains were a black gang so I can't imagine that my dad, a white kid, would have been hanging around with them in the racially intolerant atmosphere of the 1950s).

So, my question is, did the Chaplains actually have a presence in or around Ridgewood, or is it possible that my pop is really thinking of the Saints (for example)?

I'm originally from Ridgewood myself; but being born in 1967, I'm way to young to know about that scene first-hand.

#42 2006-06-23 09:28:27

_donnie

Ridgewood Gangs

The Chaplains were indeed a black gang/club. Your Dad, Dave, was most likely referring to either the Halsey Bops, Ellery Bops or Saints.

#43 2006-06-23 09:28:29

_donnie

Ridgewood Gangs

The Chaplains were indeed a black gang/club. Your Dad, Dave, was most likely referring to either the Halsey Bops, Ellery Bops or Saints.

#44 2006-07-02 15:54:46

_tony

chaplains

The(white)Chaplains hung out in Grover Cleveland Park

#45 2006-07-02 15:57:05

_tony

chaplains

The(white)Chaplains hung out in Grover Cleveland Park

#46 2006-07-03 13:08:14

_dave

Thanks, Tony

A-ha! Well, that makes sense. My pop attended GCHS (class of '61 or '62, I'm not sure which) and lived on Grandview Ave., a couple of blocks south of the park.

We lived in the same building when I was a child, and I often played in that park.

#47 2006-07-13 23:10:06

_gypsy/railroadboys

Aberdeen St. Park/Granite St

Does anyone remember the railroad boys, or did u forget?.  From 1961-1963, we constintly battled the Flaming Satians, and the Chaplins from Evergreen and Cooper.  Some of the guys in the Railroad Boys were, Gypsy, Georgie Grano, Bobby Modica (Action), Icabod, George Crawford, Billy Mandy. Also the stabbing of Mo 21 times?
There was also a Life Magazine article between 61' to 63' which featured the gangs of Bushwick namely the Railroad Boys from Granite St., Furmen Ave., and Broadway. Any info will be appriciated.

#48 2006-07-25 09:57:34

_babyhorsemen

time as change.,.

wat about the mau mau, they were a pretty rough bunch, i seen the movie about nicky cruz, they was always warring with the chaplins. If anyone as any info about the horsemen i would like more feedback.

#49 2006-08-15 20:07:13

_moonbeam

brooklyn street gangs in the 1950s

hi. i grew up on fulton street between tompkins and kingston aves. i was born in 1954, but i had cousins in the bishops and chaplins and the corsairs.i have always been curious about the black street gangs of the past.there is just not enough info on them. but i grew up in the 60s where there was the TOMAHAWKS,THE VANGUARDS, THE HELLCATS AND THE HELL KITTENS, THE JOLLY STOMPERS,THE EX VANDALS,THE GHETTO BROTHERS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THESE GANGS?

#50 2006-08-15 20:09:40

_moonbeam

brooklyn street gangs in the 1950s

hi. i grew up on fulton street between tompkins and kingston aves. i was born in 1954, but i had cousins in the bishops and chaplins and the corsairs.i have always been curious about the black street gangs of the past.there is just not enough info on them. but i grew up in the 60s where there was the TOMAHAWKS,THE VANGUARDS, THE HELLCATS AND THE HELL KITTENS, THE JOLLY STOMPERS,THE EX VANDALS,THE GHETTO BROTHERS. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THESE GANGS?

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu