Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#476 2010-02-05 12:24:25

ebz06

Re: Flushing, anyone?

Memory coming back . . . may have also been known as "Burburans" Reception House(?).

#477 2010-02-05 12:34:16

MAZ

The one I am referring to was on the same side of Northern Boulevard as the Amber Lantern.  I seem to recall that the name began with the letter "B".  Could it have been Bruno's or something like that?  It was between 1973 - 1976 that I am talking about.

#478 2010-02-05 12:41:23

MAZ

Could it possibly have been named Burburan's Town House?  That just suddenly came back to me.

#479 2010-02-05 13:05:50

MAZ

I just "googled" Burburan's and came up with the following:

Burburan’s Town House. Flushing, Queens, circa 1987 and 1989—-my Bat Mitzvah and then two years later at my sister’s. We got a discount because we went back to the same catering hall. I look around at the crowd at Pianos, expecting to see a Jessica McClintock for Gunne Sax party dress in the crowd. Of course it’s a party,the band is clapping their hands over their heads and there’s keyboards you can’t spend the whole afternoon in the bathroom we spent all this money to throw you a party everyone’s asking for you now get out of there smile and be gracious.

Thank you all for your help.

#480 2010-03-25 14:58:20

SWCphotography

It occurred to me that this might be the best place to post things forgotten since the discussion has long faded from the front page of neighborhood stories 'new topics'. One day a historian will unearth these 'forgotten discussions', a sort of 'time capsule'. This one has a lot of personal insight about what was once a great neighborhood and still has the potential to become one again. Just as last year when I discovered a forgotten 1963 Ford Galaxie in the back area of what was once a Sanitation Department equipment service facility on 35th Ave and Farrington Street. In a sign of the times there were 2 homeless women living here - I asked one of them if I could take some pictures and she replied 'I don't give a shit' at this point the other one woke up in her sleeping bag, propped up on some stairs, asking 'what are you doing - what are you doing'. I didn't have the heart to make them the subject of any photos - let them have their privacy. I was content to find the car.
[img]http://www.wideimaging.com/Queens/Flushing-Archives/BadClub63Galaxie/767544910_fk5eH-L-1.jpg[/img]

#481 2010-03-30 15:19:10

jimbo
Website

SWC, you uncovered a real find with your photo of the old ford. Good memories from the 60's
I have lived in several states, even a different country but my Flushing memories are always the most special for me.
Jimbo

#482 2010-04-12 12:34:58

Mike The Duck

[quote=jimbo]SWC, you uncovered a real find with your photo of the old ford. Good memories from the 60's
I have lived in several states, even a different country but my Flushing memories are always the most special for me.
Jimbo[/quote]
I had one of those cars (a '63 with a 390) here in Tennessee until someone slammed into me and totalled it back in 1996.

What a great photo!

Mike

#483 2010-04-14 08:47:51

jimbo
Website

Mike The Duck, it's a heartbreaker losing your classic car like that, sorry to hear it. I once owned 2 cars that  I bought new and were were considered muscle cars. One was a special order 58 Chevy 348 ci tri-power 315 hp. and a 63 Pontiac hi pro. special order 389 with tri-power. I still day dream about owning those cars.
Right now I own a 1980 Cady that I have worked on and am running daily.
It's a big old boat but it's in great condition, lots of fun to drive.
I still enjoy going to the car shows, in fact I went to one last Sat. There were a few of the old classics up for sale and I was so tempted to buy one, but for now I'll just stick with my old highway cruiser.

Last edited by jimbo (2010-04-14 21:18:31)

#484 2011-07-21 13:07:17

winton37

All this brings me back to my coming of age in late sixties Flushing.  Those years are so missed that I recently had a novel published about them.  Entitled Beyond Nostalgia, the first half take place in Flushing in the late 60's.  Though Beyond Nostalgia was just released in February, it has been on Amazon's lit fiction best-sellers list three times.  The 25 5-star reviews there are stunning.

#485 2011-10-23 21:11:05

musichman

Just found this forum and would like to add my two cents. Reading those names brought back many fond memories. I still go to Flushing at least once a month. I don't like the change but when everybody moves out other people move in. Anybody remember Pecks Bar by the Broadway LIRR station. The Bowne Park Tavern. Beggars Banquet wine and cheese bar that showed movies owned by Mario, later, Gimme Shelter ( Twisted Sister used to practice in the basement), and now Paradise Alley. Before all that it was a silk screen company call American Banner Company. Across the street was a food store called Zuccinnos or something like that.  In this area was a candy store called Siegals, later Angie’s General Store, across from Associated foods and a drug store on the corner, Kolsch Electric was also on this block. Going way back there was an ice cream parlor called Grulicks next to a barber shop. This area was by the Murray Hill LIRR station. Heading north there was Stimals Meat Market next to Paul’s Deli across from Johns shoe repair which is still there. On the corner of 150th Street and Roosevelt Ave. the corner building was the Conservative party head quarters in 70's, then an afterhours club and now a laundry mat. Point of interest. This corner house was where Ronald Reagan’s wife grew up. Across the street heading east was a diner/ luncheonette called Dora Dees, I believe, then it became an Animal Haven, then Railroad Records and now it's a variety store. Across the street is Beplat Hardware and it’s still there. Great hardware store.

#486 2011-10-24 08:08:56

Mad Sci Guy

Musichman, glad to see another old Flushingite.  Such a big town the only place I recall was PEck's BAr where my brother hung out a lot during the late 70s and 80s.

#487 2011-10-27 11:26:06

Bill B

I believe Peckies had a shuffle board table, those were always fun. Mad Sci, do i remember you mentioning that you went to St. Mary's ?  I went their also .

#488 2011-10-27 11:35:50

Bill B

Musicman, don't know if you remember, but the only bike shop
in the area                        was on 150 St. in Murray Hill, i lived down on 161  an 45 ave, pain in the butt to have to go all the way over their. Used to work for The New York Daily News and Murray Hill was part of my route.

#489 2011-10-27 12:31:32

ebz06

I spent a lot of time in Peck's (Depot Bar & Grill) . . . as a KID back in the 50's-60's.  Dad was the sec'y of Peck's bowling (Mapleways, later Kissena) league  and used to post the standings, etc., on a board over the bar each Sunday morning.  So each Sunday, after church we would head to Peck's, where he would serve us Cokes in a booth in the back, while Dad did his thing.  Then . . . after a brief visit home, it was off to watch the Peck's crew play softball.  Still remember to this day, Peck in his chinos, rolled up at the bottom, wearing his cleats, clip-clopping across the sidewalk on 164th street.  Somebody always drove him to the game, so he never brought street shoes with him.  "Uncle" Peck, as we came to know him, was a terrific guy--and most of the old timers as well.  (BTW, I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that game with the 2lb discs was actually bowling.)  Later, I knew plenty of guys who hung out there in the 70's-80's, but I had moved on to other things.

#490 2011-10-27 13:41:14

Mad Sci Guy

I think Peck's did have one of those large wooden shuffleboard tables.  Me and my brother played a few games there, at least until the early 90s.

Bill B, yep I went to old St. MAry's, class of 1977.  What year did you graduate???

By the way, St. MAry's school is still open but has been renamed.  It's now Most Holy Redeemer Catholic Academy and I think takes students from several parishes rather than just Mary's NAtivity.

Last edited by Mad Sci Guy (2011-10-27 13:43:34)

#491 2011-10-27 17:11:41

musichman

Hi Bill, Depalmas Bike shop. He lived upstairs and if he wasn't in the store you'd ring the bell and he'd look out the window and ask you what you wanted. We got all our decals from him. Was just thinking about that store today. Further on down 150th street was the old Flying A gas station. We were just kids and would always ride our bikes over or jump up on the hose that the cars used to run over to ring the bell so the gas station attendant would come out and gas you up. $2.00 regular was my fathers regular order, I remember 28 cent gas, (with lead, none of that cheap stuff like now), 15 cent to ride a bus or subway and a quarter for a slice of pizza . I remember seeing peacocks at Kissena Park while we explored the park. Remember going through the lots by Booth Memorial Hospital collecting bottles and cashing them in by stores near the Holly Inn. I think we used to be able to get a roast beef hero for a buck and used to split it. The big quart bottles used to fetch a dime and the regular coke and pepsi bottles a nickel. Remember going into Shea stadium when it was being built. Amazing what comes back to you and now I can't even remember what my wife told she need from ShopRite. Jack in the Box..... we were lucky we never got arrested after a few hours at Pecks and then a walk to Jacks. Anyway hope I filled in some missing memories. Facebook has a Flushing page but this an interesting forum.

#492 2011-10-27 17:43:14

musichman

We used to call the Deli next to the Parsons Inn, "The All Night Deli" the kicker was they were open till 11 on week days and Friday and Saturday nights till 1 a.m.  Boones Farm Apple wine anyone? I used to work at the Cove Luncheonette, 41-62 Bowne Street." Buddy boy, that's not for you."

#493 2011-10-28 11:12:40

Bill B

Musicman, wow, parsons inn, i was born at Parsons hosp. just down the block, do u remember when the other corner was a Horn an Hardticks.
I remember 12 ounce bottles being a 2 cent return and quart bottles being a nickel, i believe. And a slice of pizza was 15 cents back in the early 60's, but the gas prices you mentioned were right on , wish we had those prices today, lol .
Was the the Cove Lunchonette across from Flushing H.S., i remember they would fry there burgers in butter, they were pretty good. All in All , Flushing was a Great place to grow up , fantastic memories
This is for Mad Sci Guy, I'm an old fart , graduated from St. Mary's in 1963, also thought i remembered you saying your brother in law was Ray Fernandez., we went to school together.You probably don't remember, but back than i used to sell papers on the corner at St. Mary's, all the sunday papers, back than there were maybe 8 different papers, got me out of going to Mass with my class , we also sold papers at , St. Mels an St. Lukes, me, Denis Gorham and Kevin Gorham, we got 6 bucks to be there from 5:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M  okay , later Guys

#494 2011-12-30 08:51:22

jimbo
Website

I would just like to wish all of you old Flushingites a Happy New Year and many more to come. 2012 should prove to be an intresting year. If most of us can keep our health and some of our wealth, perhaps we'll make it through.
The older I get the more I miss the Flushing of old. What a great town we were fortunate to have lived in....It wasn't a fancy town my any means but it had a character like no other that I have known. I made many friends there which I still have. Thanks to the internet in recent years I have made many more due to the Gotham site
Right now I am living outside of Tucson Arizona and I've been here for a long time. Weather nice, people OK, but they don't hold a shine to the down to earth NYkers I once lived amongst.
What I'd give for a good day of fishing at Kissena lake or just hanging out at the park. I can still smell the hot dogs and the burgers cooking from the old concession stand right  behind the boat dock.
Be well all of you and once again have a "Happy New Year"

#495 2012-01-03 09:19:25

Mad Sci Guy

Happy New Year Jimbo!  My daughters may be getting too old for the yearly fishing trip to Kissena but I plan to give it a try in Spring or Summer.

#496 2012-01-03 09:26:37

jimbo
Website

Sounds exciting Joe, I wish I could join you for a day of fishing.... I wish you and your family a happy and healthy New Year.

#497 2012-09-04 09:23:01

riccardino

> Mad Sci Guy wrote:

> Jimbo.  Glad you found this thread, it is sometimes hard to find. 

Riccardino.  I remember the deli although I did not go there much.  DO you you remember the Maloney family up the street?

@mad science guy  ...yes I do remember Jimmy and his brothers and sisters

#498 2012-09-04 09:49:41

riccardino

I remember the maloneys...still see Jimmy now and then. I am surprised no one remembers the candy store. Do you guys remember the October fest?

#499 2012-10-19 08:56:54

Chef Doogie

I was born in Astoria in 1950, but we moved pretty quickly and then grew up in Flushing. I lived on 61st. rd and 150th. st. right in front of Queens College, actually they built it while we used to play in the "woods" on Reeves ave. There was an agriculture school or something like that there too we would play in the fields of corn, crops, and one day threw rocks at a beehive and were chased out by the students chasing us in a tractor, that was nuts, almost got run over. That would be around 1958-9. We used to sneak in to the construction sites at the College and get chased out by the watchman (old chubby guy) who never could catch us. We would wet ourselves laughing so hard at him blowing his whistle and shouting, "hey you kids, stop!" yeah right...Anyway I hope the person who has message #10 reads this, his comments about places I would frequent really hit the spot! I was in Bowne KDG, and then P.S. 201 off of Kissena blvd, near Pomonok, my best friend Richard Koenig lived there, man I miss him, and I've tried to reach him with this internet thing, but no...One particular place I want to mention is/was this pizza place on Roosevelt I think that was right next to the steele "stairs" going up to the Subway platform for the #7 train to NYC. The place was near the Prospect too, we went there after being in the movie house all day, on a rainy day of course, watching 3 stooges, Martin and Lewis, silly scary movies, etc. The place was called "Triple Nickle Pizza" and I'm thinking that was because the trains and buses were 15 cents too at that time. Everything in the place was 15 cents, the slices, the soda's, the pretzels, the fries. I really liked their Pizza and had to struggle to not spend all my 1 dollar at the movies, the shows were 35 cents or there about, so, hershey bars were 5 cents, soda's were a dime at the gas station in those machines with the sideways bar you pressed down and those thick coke bottles would "Thump" down to the slot. I would also take the Q32? to Adventurers Inn and my brother and I would play the pinballs, skeeballs, and steal the free saurkraut in the diner part, crazy kids we were. most of the games were 5 or 10 cents. One day, I was playing the Submarine game, the one you could shoot a torpedo out the gun and sink ships, well, the button was missing on the "periscope" handle that had the shoot trigger, and I got a electric shock that knocked me backwards to the ground! The 'change' guy picked me up and took me in to the managers office. They gave me about 3 dollars in dimes and ride tickets to 'forget about it'. Can you imagine that scenario in todays litiginous world? We went to First Presbytarian Church on Murray st, I think. My dad would play tennis on the red clay courts at Kissena park. We sleighed Suicide hill and the alleys behind our brick, two story track homes. The alleys had ramps going down on each side to the under or basement garages. These alleys would ice up in Winter and be really fast to us! We watched the Expressway being built and used to ride our bikes on the roadway before it was officially opened. 150th st. used to go through before the expressway was paved and there was a 'candy' store, that actually sold everything I can't remember the name, I used to get my baseball cards there for 5 cents a pack with the rectangle of gum, and Archie and Veronica comics. There's more of course and I hope someone writes back.....thanks.....d.

#500 2012-12-30 21:50:02

hiart

No idea whether the Flushing discussion is still going on, but thank you to all for your amazing memories of Flushing in the early 60s!  Does anyone remember or have information or pictures of the 2 huge houses that were on Elder Avenue between Kissena Blvd and Colden Street.  If I remember correctly there was a huge brown one -- older I think -  more towards Colden and then a gigantic white one on Elder that stretched all the way to Kissena Blvd.  There was also a tiny house on Colden Street that sat right between the two Lefrak buildings, the Notre Dame and the one next door - can't remember the name -- the house was owned by a family called the Torchios.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu