Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#451 2009-02-26 02:56:22

SWCphotography

Re: Flushing, anyone?

I found this 1992 picture that has Gloria's Pizza in the background (unfortunately I took this with a disposable camera). Right by the bus stop and subway entrance, really the ideal location for a Pizza store. I know since I once worked in a pizza store on the corner of Sutphin Blvd and Hillside Ave. in Jamaica - that place was hoppin'.
[img]http://swc-biogon.smugmug.com/photos/481028599_s6wg6-L.jpg[/img]

#452 2009-07-31 00:22:18

Joel Stokes

Played on the Flushing Mets in the 60's I was the only black kid in the league..Alley Pond Park Field!!!

[quote=_patrick]Flushing

I grew up in Flushing but I am now a adopted Texas Native. I spent my early years on Blossom Ave. I loved the Worlds Fair as I was just five when it open I thought i would be there for ever. But when it ended we all enjoyed the prk that was left. I attene ps 120, and Rachel Carson I.S. The first year that it was open and we onley had a seventh grade. During that summer we moved to 147th and northern blvd. I attend I.S.237 for 8th and 9th grade. I attend Frace Lewis HS for my 10th grade before moving to Arizona.

I enjoyed the park and the Botanical Gardens on Main street. Two summers I had a youth garden in the park we worked on it every sat. form spring until fall.

I played little leauge baseball for the Flushing Mets. Yes I do remeber Dimaigo's on Nothern blvd.It was a family type place. I meet serveral of the new york met there and they were happy to meet with fans and to sign an autograh them back in tha day.(boy I feel old.)does any rember Herty gerty- the hot dog shop on Roosevlt by the subway station. We would meet mom there afterwork when she got off of the subway had dinner than would shop and walk home.

Yea, times have changed we could run tought any of the parks till 10:00pm or later on weekends. Take bus all over like visitng friends in bay terrace and taking the last bus at midnight.

Now i have to drive my teenagers every where it seems as times have changed and buses in texas are a joke!!!![/quote]

#453 2009-07-31 00:34:55

Joel Stokes

I am 54 and grew up in Flushing in the 60's qne 70's and the memories are crazy!!! Maple park on Kissena, Colden Street bleachers, Gertz, Gloria Pizza, RKO and Prospect movie theaters, Kissena Park, Goridan Knot, Ripley's. Had family in Corona, East Elmhurst and Hollis. The first black kid to play in the Flushing Little League in the 60's.

PS 24, JHS 189 and John Bowne HS! My house was right next to Rachel Carson IS 237...I was too old for IS 237, but my bro and sis attended.

#454 2009-07-31 00:51:23

Joel Stokes

Joel Stokes grew up on Juniper Ave  (between Kissena & Colden) Hung out at Maple Park, went to PS 24, JHS 189 and John Bowne then NYU and Touro College. Brother Maurice died in 1991....I'm 54..Remember Caroline Francis, Angelo and his Evelyn, Orit, Lily, Keith Jones...

Had friends in Skyline and Carlyle Towers, Franconia, Lefrak on Colden Street...

#455 2009-07-31 01:01:49

Joel Stokes

Joel Stokes..Bro Maurice passed away in 1991...we hung out in Maple Park

c signorelli cherry ave 1961-1979
any of my old gang out there?[/quoteJoel Stokes..Bro Maurice passed away in 1991...we hung out in Maple Park]

#456 2009-07-31 01:20:44

Joel Stokes

[I played softball and whiffle ball in the PS 24..Joel Stokes here 54 yrs old living in Ft. Lauderdale, The Becketts, Edgar Finch, Arthur Boone, Freddie Cruse, Timmy Hunt]]p.s.24

remember p.s. 24 after school + summer center.
mr. Goodie+mr.Mint use to run the program.
I played on the softball team in 1968/69/70.
Edgar Finch/Jimmy Green/George McCoy/Bobby-
Porter/Matty played shortstop with his first base-
man glove/Arthur Boone/Steve that lived across,
from Boone /Steve had a brother Nunzio.

waiting for reply P.S. got to love them GIANTS.[/quote I played softball and whiffle ball in the PS 24..Joel Stokes here 54 yrs old living in Ft. Lauderdale, The Becketts, Edgar Finch, Arthur Boone, Freddie Cruse, Timmy Hunt]

#457 2009-07-31 09:12:19

Mad Sci Guy

Joel, glad to see another old Flushingite!  I have posted in this thread before so you can find my history.

I am 46 years old, live on Long Island, still visit FLushing on Occasion.  I went to St. MAry's Catholic School but alot of my friends I hung out with and played ball with went to PS 24.  I think I went there also for Kindergarden.

I only played a littel ball in the Colden Field park behind Kissena Blvd. but most of my time was at Kissena Park (I am probably the most nostalgic about Kissena PArk around here), and probably still see your old area when I visit my dentist on Kissena Blvd once a year.

Welcome and sorry about Maurice.

#458 2009-08-13 16:51:01

Tripacer

I was born  in 1938 and lived at 35-53 161st Street until 1959 when I joined the Air Force after graduating from Syracuse University.  I attended St. Andrew Avellino elementary school and Bayside High School.  Am I the senior "senior citizen" on this site?

#459 2009-08-13 17:21:12

Tripacer

P.S. I posted on this site several years ago and had to re-register because I forgot my old password.  My old posts can be found under "Tripacer" in the search function (archives).  Tripacer is the name of my airplane that I flew into Flushing Airport (no longer in existence) back in the early seventies.  It was a quick way to get from my home in Huntington, WV to visit my family in Flushing, Jamaica and Port Washington.

#460 2009-08-14 08:48:06

Mad Sci Guy

Tripacer, You are 25 years older than me, so I consider you my elder although I think there may be older people on these boards.  I know many are retired.

I lived on 160th street just off of 46 Ave with my Mom during college years until I got married and moved to Nassau. What intersection did you live on?  And when did your family move out (or are they still there?).

Glad to see another FLushingite here!  I still pass through the town as I drive to work in Manhatten.

#461 2009-08-14 17:48:53

Tripacer

Mad Sci Guy:
The house where my brother, sister and I were raised is half way between Northern Blvd. and 35th Ave on the east side of 161st Street.  My parents moved from there to Southbury, CT in 1974.  I took my wife to Flushing two years ago to show her the house and my old neighborhood. The house is now owned by a Korean couple who publishes a local Korean language newspaper.    The lady happened to be on the front steps when we stopped across the street.  My wife suggested I go over and introduce myself and I said it might frighten her.  Nonetheless, my wife crossed the street and explained that I grew up in the house.  Surprisingly, she invited us in and gave us a grand tour.  She showed us pictures of her grown children all of whom were raised there.  The house is in excellent condition. The basement is beautifully finished and is used as an office for their newspaper business.  When I lived there, the basement was not meant to be lived in.  There were two coal fired furnaces next to the south basement wall.  One heated the hot water radiators located in every room which kept the house evenly warm on the coldest winter days.  The smaller coal furnace heated the water in the hot water tank.  Two coal bins were located against the north wall which was adjacent to the outside driveway.  There was a  foundation window that opened into the coal bins providing access for the coal truck to deliver about 10 tons of coal each fall. One coal bin was fed larger chunks of coal for the big furnace and smaller chunks were delivered to the bin for the small  water-heater furnace.  A couple of shovels of coal each morning kept us warm in the winter.  However shaking down the ashes from the furnace grates and hauling out the ash cans was heavy duty work!  All the homes were heated with coal when we lived there in the forties.  My dad converted the coal furnaces to oil heat in about 1954.
It was good to hear from you.

#462 2009-08-14 20:10:17

clamgirl

I remember walking home from school at PS 120 in flushing and picking up pieces of coal from the deliveries...that was around 73 or 74

#463 2009-08-18 08:00:55

Mad Sci Guy

Tripacer.  Nice story and I am not surpirzed.  Flushing has become an asian neighborhood but I still known people who live in the area from work (who are asians) and they are very nice people.  The problem with Flushing is that houses have turned into multi-family homes and the businesses are more condensed and dirtier.

On the other hand Kissena Park has been cleaned up ALOT since I was a kid.  The lake now has a 2/3 natural shoreline and fishing is better than ever. 

I went to Holy Cross High School and used to get off at 162nd and Northern, not far from you old home!  I still pass that general area once every few weeks as my mother lives in a Nursing home on Parsons and Northern.  25th Ave. is still one of the best tree-lined streets in FLushing.  That's one thing I miss about Flushing compared with Nassau County, there were alot more trees.  Now in Nassau everyone cut's down curbside trees because they are scared of being sued for falling branches, very sad.

#464 2009-09-24 17:30:25

jimbo
Website

Tripacer...My handle is Jimbo, I am also a Flushing boy born in 1938, another old timer. I am now living in Tucson AZ., Been here for 31 years but I sure due reminisce about the old times and the old neighborhood. I lived at 58-17 150st. Flushing. My dad bought his home there in 1950. It was semi- rural then, Still a lot of abandon farm land and fields a young boy and his brother could explore. Kissina park was one of my favorite places, I spent count'less hours there fishing and just goofing around. Loved to take the girl friends for a rowboat ride on the lake. Mad Sci Guy (Joe) is an expert when it comes to tales of  the park or the lake. gada go now , be well
Jimbo

#465 2009-09-24 19:57:11

riccardino

Posting again to ask if anyone remembers Fred's Deli on 157street and 45th ave? How about Max's Candy Store? I am 44 and lived across the street from both stores

#466 2009-09-25 08:05:52

Mad Sci Guy

Jimbo.  Glad you found this thread, it is sometimes hard to find. 

Riccardino.  I remember the deli although I did not go there much.  DO you you remember the Maloney family up the street?

#467 2009-09-25 10:14:07

jimbo
Website

Mad Sci Guy, do you remember the Flushing pet shop, I believe it was on Roosevelt Ave. The same owners once owned a fish hatchery on Kissena Blvd. across the road from the park. There was a bunch of old buildings there where they bred and sold tropical fish. I was into tropicals pretty heavy back then. They abandoned the hatchery in 1952 or 53 and opened the store in Flushing.
The old drain pipe that was part of the spillway from the lake that seemed to disappear into the ground at Kissena Blvd. was always a mystery. Me and my brother and some friends were exploring the fields on the other side of  what is now Booth Memorial Ave. and 150 st. and we found a large manhole cover in the middle of nowhere. Somehow we removed the cover. There was a metal ladder going down into the hole with running water down below. I was brave enough to go down there and check it out, just then somebody yelled out it's the devil hole! I climbed out of there as fast as I could and never went back.  I have since discovered that what I found was the run off from the lake. It was diverted underground to empty into Flushing bay. I had quite a few adventures back then, and enjoyed them all. Lots of great memories.
The best to you....Jimbo

Last edited by jimbo (2009-09-25 18:39:06)

#468 2009-09-28 10:18:38

Mike The Duck

[quote=Tripacer]I was born  in 1938 and lived at 35-53 161st Street until 1959 when I joined the Air Force after graduating from Syracuse University.  I attended St. Andrew Avellino elementary school and Bayside High School.  Am I the senior "senior citizen" on this site?[/quote]
Tripacer,

Great to read your posts!

My folks' house (35-46 162nd Street) sounds like it was almost right behind your old house! We moved to Flushing in 1971, so you were long gone by the time we showed up. I think we bought the house from a couple named "Constable" if I remember correctly.

My folks still live there and I visit about 4-5 times yearly. The neighborhood sure has changed.

Mike

#469 2009-09-29 14:58:25

jimbo
Website

This message is for Renee V.... Renee Im one of the Flushing old timers, my handle is Jimbo. The hobby shop you spoke of on Northen Blvd. near Robert Hall was called the Hobby Den. It was a very well stocked store with hobby equipment. for every need. It was owned by two follows who were in the know when it came to assisting people with their projects. One owners name was Dave, I don't remember the others name. My friend Dave Stein and I were into free flight & hand controlled model airplanes.As two young teenage boys we spent a lot of time,(and money) in that store. The two owners especially  Dave would go out of his way to help us with our endeavors.
P.S. Flushing was a great place to grow up in especially in the 50's and 60's
great memories.

Last edited by jimbo (2009-09-29 15:09:30)

#470 2009-11-19 19:35:33

imissny

[quote=_avk2]Flushing Memories
Thanks for the Memories, No I am not Bob Hope lol, I too was born at Flushing Hospital, and grew up on 161st. Do you remember the RKO restaurant bar and grill next to the RKO theater?
Do you remember E&L texaco on Union and Northern & their other location at Northern and the Clearview, also Jo-als on 162 & Crocheron. I worked for the texaco station at both locations. I worked at Murray's, the Reception house across the street. It is a shame that a great neighborhood like flushing could not stay the same. There was a soda shop on Crocheron ave and 169th street that I can't remember the name of. I went there after picking up my paper's for my paper route which was on 169th. Did anyone have their mower blades sharpened at shop on depot rd and 162nd or by the man pushing his cart down every street wanting to sharpen your scissors and knives. How about Frank's music shop on Northern between 161 & 162nd street.
Did anyone play ice hockey at Bowne park or make rafts from the big storm that dropped all those trees in the park in the 70's. Bock David was the best for all your auto needs from tune-up parts to having the heads and cranks done,can't find places like that anymore. What was the name of the Bicycle store across the street from King Kullen by Murray Hill?
I was born in flushing hospital and lived most of my life in flushing on 150th (once "Boerum Ave") nr 32nd (once" Myrtle Ave" , later  up on Crocheron & 167 when I moved to a northern suburb. sister still lives in my parents' (dec.) house and have seen the 'hood as recently as last week it is a seedy tawdry shell of its former self, hasnt been great since late 1970s to me really. flushing was terrific, we left our door open, could walk or take bussubway to Main St. Shea, even Manhattan.
Stream of consciousness follows...
Lets start w food. Dugan's & Borden's still delivered but by 1970 home delivery basically  gone. Jahn's. Gloria Pizza.
Did you remember their Sister shop "Marguerita" right across from Gertz?
A lot of wonderful sales ladies in Gertz,
Roosevelt Ave: Flushing Federal Bank
Merit Farms (BBQ chickens in the window)
Hurdy Gurdy-tried to be like a Nathan's.
Karl Ehmer, Singer, Stassou furs, Cushmans bake shop (think it became Ebingers mm blackout cake definitely was an Ebingers up at new Food Fair/Pantry Pride market at strip mall built on empty lot across from
St Andrews where I went to grade school.
Trunz. Chase bank (w clock) Arcade to back st (37th Ave?) municipal parking where Ronnie's was (my older sister shopped there & Joyce Leslie) Flagg Bros shoes S Klein.
Bus terminal was supposed to be built for all busses but never happened...
Mother worked at EJ Korvettes which previously was a homeorphanage with black metal fence round Sanford. Haircuts upstairs Roosevelt ave at Superstar (wsexy hairdresser helpers) Breslin's restaurant near Wallachs. Main St: WT Grant, Masters, Fox furniture (with a movie theatre-like marquee) Conovitz jewelers,
clock on St) Stride RideJumping Jacks shoes
Palace? kids clothiers, Joyce Leslie, Thom McAn, Newmark & Lewis, Buster Brown, Bankers Trust which became Barclays (now BONY if anything) Nedicks on Northern  Main across from RKO Keiths (sob) also another Nedicks & donut shop inside subway st. Up Northern to Union: Lafayette Radio, Times Square Stores, Quaker House, Bee Hive disco w Coca-Cola sign, Armory, Bock-David auto parts, MacGrotty Chevrolet, Robert Hall that became Bonds, Aqua-Pet Hobby, Sportsworld, an excellent Pizza place that I forget the name of, across Flushing Savings large Texaco Station & garage before flushing HS. On other side appliance stores (one was E something, an GE Art Deco master show place at one time) 
North Shore Appliance, Sears which I believe was Friendly Frost, Sears Automotive (sign with red ball on garage for years) towards Flushing HS Singers HallSt John Vianney. back on Northern Going East: Ethan allen furniture, Lum's, YMCA, Bowne Chemists (open 24 hrs IIRC) across st add on to Flushing HS (gym?) Royal Northern Apts.
Parsons: Parsons Hospital around corner from H&H, Shell was always on Northern. , Sizzler restaurant, H&H + store became Bank of N AmericaNatl Westminster, Flooring & union hq, Bohack's became LaZBoy, MacGrotty used car became HB Chevy, small A&P on s side of Northern, Jamie Funeral home. A lil' newsguy "Rudy" with a shack full of newspapers mags near 147th & No. Waldbaums, across Louelle Photographers, torn down to be Fl S Bank.
Gulf station, Arrow cleaners,
Lots of empty lotshouses filled in with large A&P (now Rite Aid) Burger King (open c. 1975 closed now? ) Wetsons became Nathans became Store24 became,..? Dunkin Donuts was there forever...Pilot Cleaners across from Key Food, Hunter Garden drugs, candy store, North Shore Olds, Gleasons
funeral. Joe Dimaggio's restaurant & sporting goods next door, Peter Florists, jimmy Haircutter 149th pl Monahan Ford, Amber Lantern, Car wash on 150th, apts
up Northern: Bowling alley with giant pin sign upstairs (decrepit) @Murray Pl Cities Service gas became Citgo, across was Sinclair then BP, Hardware store, Chinese Laundry, Lee Myles, industrial store of some kind, King Kullen on n side, corner was a candy store then expanded, KFC was a used car lot, Rocco Moving Storage, Firestone, GeneralIrving Tire at 154th.
another used car lot (OK-Macgrotty?)became
Jack In The Box 156th in 1967.  IHOP built @ 1970 still there. Across No Blvd gallagher Shell, Graziano Ravioli, old guy bar where benches were @ end of Roosevelt, McDonalds built c. 1972, big lot with Johntra Insurance, torn down for Food fair etc, Wash Mutual bank was originally Aunt Jemima's pancake House then Mayflower DonutsRestaurant. Great Scot was across st as drive in at 156 and soem stores-deli, travel agent. 157th corner
was empty lot then Knapp Shoes. ST Andrews, across was A&P, Parr Furniture, a Bake Shop
(Purity?) MerkelMerco Meats (huge chain brought down by org crime scandal, became Farmer Boy) corner Ha-Cha stationery,
n side Juvenile Mart toys & furniture, Murray's clothes across several buildings.
photography studio peter warren wright?
copy center where friends sisters boyfriend worked. Coffee shop, Roosevelt Theatre then the Quartet (now an Eckerds) another Woolworths, which had great burgers. Artistic cleaners, Bohack's became Scaturros then RS Strauss at Crocheron & No. Broadway St. across was Mapleways Bowl up 162nd Svend Kent paints, velvet cup, seafood store, blinds store, Regal chemists (still there)  further up eastbound Northern: beer distributor, furniture store, Villa Bianca, Breitfeller pontiac, Gables inn, beer distributor on other side near where Fontana Pizza is, Cranes 66, Wetson's, Toy City, White Castle Tanenbaums kids clothes @ Bell, College pt savigs bank, Kiddie City, Grand Union,
Home savings bank w mosaic tiles, Little Neck theatre, Scobie Grill, on to Lord & Taylor & Miracle Mile, a fancy shmancy restaurant with a womans name that I cant remember the name to right now. whew-thats only part of it. havent mentioned 150th, 154th in Whitestone, Parsons & 164th down to Jamaica, 45th Ave, 46th Ave, Fresh Meadows, Utopia Pkwy, F Lewis Blvd, Main St by Bowne HS, 14th Ave, 20th Ave, Adventurers Inn, Flushing Airport.   
hope I brought back a buncha fond memories...

Never drove as had Q15 and a block away
2 Q16 routes.

Towards KissenaProspect theatre: Smilens produce Shelley bakery Manufacturers Hanover bank, Kings & queens pool hall. Blue Star super market. Woolworths had excellent chicken & burgers 

H&H Northern & Parsons-large dining room + food shop with great take home gods-also available at Trunz nr corner of Main & Roosevelt. Parsons Inn bar now a McDonalds.
Used to work at Baskin-Robbins next to Waldbaums.[/quote]

#471 2009-11-19 23:55:22

ebz06

Quite a memory you've got there.  Only wish I could remember half of what you've rattled off.

But hey . . . back in the Sixties I worked in that Candy Store on 169th and Crocheron.  In the 50's, it was known as Ehrlich's; early 60's MacDonald's/Feeley's, then Augustin's--all the last names of the owners.  I knew them all.  Wound up working next door in the Deli for a few years, through a succession of German owners.  Best-ever Potato Salad.

And of course, if you picked up your Star-Journal or LI Press on 169th like i did, then you are well familiar with the legend of Angelo Rico.

Flushing was great place to grow up.

#472 2009-12-18 10:39:36

jimbo
Website

Hi , imissny...I to miss NY, not the way it is today but the way it was. You about blew me out of the water with your amazing memory of Flushing. I too lived in flushing, 58-17 150St. and 58Ave. Originally from Canada, my dad bought a new home at that address in 1949. I remember all of the places you mentioned. It was a great place to grow up in. It was also a safe place, not only for the homeowner but for young boys and girls growing up. I sure miss those times, you brought back a lot of wonderful memories by mentioning all of those great places where I grew up.
Thank you, and be well,
Jimbo

#473 2010-02-05 11:32:31

MAZ

Do any of you remember the Amber Lantern or Villa Bianca, both on Northern Boulevard in the 60s & 70s.  I think Villa Bianca was around 169th Street (on the corner) and the Amber Lantern was around 150th Street (on the corner)?  There was a Catering Hall on Northern Boulevard near the Amber Lantern.  Do any of you remember the name of it?  Thank you for your help.

#474 2010-02-05 11:42:12

ebz06

The "catering hall" was known as "The Reception House". . . across Northern from Murray's.

#475 2010-02-05 11:49:38

Mad Sci Guy

I remember eating at both teh Amber Lantern and Villa Bianca. 

ebz06 is correct about the reception house, had a few friends who waitered there before it closed.

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu