Gotham Logo Gotham Logo  

Online Discussions

Announcement

Welcome to the Gotham Center discussion boards. These boards offer our users a safe, friendly environment for discussions about New York City history. Please note that you must register before posting to the site.

#1 2004-01-05 08:23:57

_ian@chard.org

Jersey City Printing Company

Hi,

I've recently found out from WWI draft card records that my great grandfather worked at the Jersey City Printing Company (at 160 Maple) around 1918.

Does anyone have any information about this company, and what eventually happened to it?  I'd be interested in contacting them if they still exist to see if they still have any employee records.

Thanks for any info
- Ian

#2 2004-08-17 10:18:10

_flup

Re: Jersey City Printing Company

Hi,

Someone @videotron.ca emailed me about this but I lost it before I could reply!  Can whoever that was get in touch please?

Thanks!

- Ian <ian@chard.org>

#3 2012-12-10 11:56:56

ajax

Jersey City Printing was founded around 1895 and operated as a privately held family-owned business for most of its existence.  While they could handle any printing job assigned their core business was the printing of telephone directories.   They employed about 600 in the Jersey City plant and another 400 at subsidiary Pennland Printing Company in Yeadon, PA, near Philadelphia.

During the late 1960's the Company was purchased by McCall Corp. - the publisher of McCall's Magazine among others.  McCall evidently was not interested in upgrading JCP's aging plant and equipment and so other printing companies - principally R.R. Donnelley of Illinois -were able to outbid JCP for the lucrative phone book printing business.

Jersey City Printing Company closed about 1973.

Last edited by ajax (2012-12-10 13:32:29)

Features:

Donate Now!
Help support the Gotham Center

Join Our Mailing List

The Gotham History Blotter
Read new non-fiction essays about New York City History.

© 2004-2007 Gotham Center for New York City History. All Rights Reserved.

The Gotham Center for New York City History
The Graduate Center, The City University of New York, Room 6103
365 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10016-4309
Telephone: 212-817-8460
FAX: 212-817-1541
E-mail: gotham@gc.cuny.edu